hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger

/ hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger #1  

72chevy4x4

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038e
I have a L3540 which is a great tractor. I use the quick attach bucket and pallet forks quite often (switching between the two that is). I would like the ability to rent equipment for a bobcat-it will (should) attach via my FEL's QA but I'll need hydraulics to operate the attachment.

has anyone done this or can provide info-even search terms would be helpful. My L3540 has 3 slots for add on remotes near the right rear fender and I see 3 electrical connections.

question-does the 3540 have enough flow to supply common attachments?

thanks guys!

/ hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger #2  
question-does the 3540 have enough flow to supply common attachments?
you will need low flow attachments, the high-flow ones take ~30GPM to run, low flow ones are in the 8-12GPM range which your tractor should be able to put out.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger #3  
Your tractor put out about 9 GPM.

/ hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger #4  
Your tractor with the 9 gpm flow rate will do ok with a backhoe. They don't require high flow rates. I previously had a Bradco 611 backhoe on my Kubota 3710 and it had about 7gpm and ran a little slow. I use the same backhoe on my Skidsteer (19 gpm) and I have to run it at an idle or the flow is too high.
I have used a Bobcat auger (model 15) on my prior Kubota and current JD 3720 which has 8 gpm. The auger is a little slow but gets the job down. Much nicer to use the auger on my Skidsteer at half throttle.
Forget about using anything like a trencher, stump cutter, snowblower etc. These SS attachments need much high flow rates than you can provide. This is one of the reasons I just ordered a Toolcat 5610 was to get the higher flow rates but still has a 3pt on the back.

/ hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger #5  
I have never used a low flow hydraulic auger as designed for the slower flow of tractors. I think I would hate them. I need the higher flow to get more torque. My current Bobcat 15 model auger (max 18 gpm) digs 12" holes nicely at the higher flow rates but still stops occassionally, especially in wet soil. This is at 3000 psi which is higher than most tractors. However, it struggles with 24" and nearly impossible with 36" bits. I just ordered a model 30C auger which has nearly double the torque and can use up to 28 gpm. The only good way to get great torque is higher pressure and higher flow rates.

/ hydraulics for adding QA backhoe or auger #6  
I have never used a low flow hydraulic auger as designed for the slower flow of tractors. I think I would hate them. I need the higher flow to get more torque.

The torque delivered to your auger bit does relate directly to hydraulic
pressure, and to gearing, but not hydraulic flow rate. In general, hyd
motors with larger displacements generate larger torques, but that is
dependent on internal motor geometry. What you often get with hyd
PHDs on lower flow tractors is an auger that runs slower, but delivers
plenty of torque, prob similar to the torque you get on hi-flow skidsteer PHDs.

As an example, the White series 300 hyd motor on my PHD is 7.7
c.i./rev and it can handle up to 20GPM. At the 8+ GPM my tractor puts
out, it only turns at 240RPM and puts out 212 ft-lbs of torque, the same
torque it puts out at 20GPM. For my PHD, the gearbox increases the
torque 3.18x, to 673 ft-lbs, while reducing its speed to only 75RPM.

That is a lot of torque, and it works well.