Kabota L245 lift problem

/ Kabota L245 lift problem #1  

estodd

Hello All
I could use your help with my Kabota hydraulic lift.
If you don't mind let me set the scenario.
I just bought a Kabota L245 3 cyl diesel.
I bought from a dealer who had it on his lot for about 1 or 2 months.
I talked with him about the tractor before driving the 200 miles to get it and he said the lift and pto worked fine.
When I got to the sales lot the lift did not work. it was saturday and no mechanics were working and it was raining and the man said he did not want to crawl under it on that rainy day but he said he could tell by the sucking sound the lift was making that it only needed to have the filter screen cleaned and it would work. He said it had been working the whole time he had it on the lot and he was sure that cleaning the filter would fix it.
I bought it and brought it home and cleaned the filter screen and sure enough it worked great. it would lift the 5' bushhog and 5' box blade with no problem.
It has been 1 week ago today that I cleaned the screen and got it working.
Well Today I went to move a small pile of dirt with the box blade. I cranked up the tractor, raised the lift and backed up to the dirt pile, lowered the blade and all was well. I dragged a little dirt a few feet and went to raise the blade and there was no lift. It would not go up at all.

I drained all the hydraulic fluid (hyd/trans) and removed the filter screen and cleaned it again even though it was not dirty.
Put in all new 23 quarts of hyd/trans fluid and still had no lift.
I removed the box blade and the the lift would go up but only at full throttle. You can place your foot on the lift arms and it will not raise at all.
Even that small amount of weight will keep it from going up.
There is a control valve under the seat which controls how fast or slow the lift will go down and it did not seem to work even when the lift was working. It does not have any effect on the lowering speed. I noticed when I drained the fluid the first time to clean the screen that there were some black rubber looking framents in the oil. The same thing when I drained it the 2nd time to replace all fluid. There were some black fragments. Could this be seals or o rings?
The lift arms will stay raised up wherever I set them and not leak down with the tractor shut off and not running.
I disconnected the hydraulic lines at the pump and cranked the tractor and it poured fluid out at a pretty high flow.
I disconnected the line at a "box" looking thing under the seat and it poured out fluid at a high flow rate.
I have no way to test pressure and do not see any way to connect a pressure gauge to it.
I had someone suggest a sticking relief valve.
How can I test this?
From what I have described here can you give me your opinion(s) and suggest a starting point for me to get this thing fixed.
I appreciate any input.
Thanks

/ Kabota L245 lift problem #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Being that I am not a Kubota guy I will address what what I know that common to all (or most) tractors:
I noticed when I drained the fluid the first time to clean the screen that there were some black rubber looking framents in the oil. The same thing when I drained it the 2nd time to replace all fluid. There were some black fragments. Could this be seals or o rings?

That sounds like a hose is disinagrating from the inside out. I know you cleaned the screen...but isn't there a filter also? The filter will get clogged up fast if that's what the little bits are.

You need to see if the oil in the tank is foaming while the tractor is running-if so that indicates a leak on the suction side of the pump which is usually a hose.

I disconnected the hydraulic lines at the pump and cranked the tractor and it poured fluid out at a pretty high flow.
That's very dangerous! And messy! Please don't do that again!

I have no way to test pressure and do not see any way to connect a pressure gauge to it.

To test pressure, you have to terminate a pressure line (like from the loader if you have one) into a gauge (they are less than $20 plus whatever fitting you need) to deadhead the pump and read the pressure-only do this for a few seconds at a time though.

I had someone suggest a sticking relief valve.
How can I test this?
Usually when that happens, you will here a loud squealing noise and the engine will sound labored.

/ Kabota L245 lift problem
Thanks kennyd for your reply.
I do not see any rubber hoses anywhere that relate to the hydraulics so I am thinking it is not a deteriorating hose.
I do not see foaming in the fluid while tractor is running. I see movement in the fluid and maybe a bubbling action but not foaming so I guess it means no leak on the suction side?
There is no filter on this model except for the screen which I mentioned so I have to skip this step of cleaning/changing filter.
I cannot figure how to connect a pressure gauge to the system because the only lines I see are metal tubes that cannot be disconnected by themselves. They are sort of in a group if that makes sense. I mean one line goes in to a solid metal fitting that has more than on hole in it like a manifold.
I am screwed!!!!!
I wish I had not bought this contraption, it is driving me crazy!!!
Thanks for your input and if anyone else has ideas please reply.
I need all the help I can get.
THANKS

/ Kabota L245 lift problem #4  
estodd,

was looking for help on changing my hydraulic fluid in my Kubota L4300 and saw your post. New to the forum as of today. I lost my "lift" on my front end loader except when I would rev the engine to full throttle then it would lift slightly. My farm is 50 miles out from the dealer so I called and asked what it could be. He told me probably a bad lift arm . Told me to try putting the PTO lift at half lift and that didn't help. Said it would cost several hundred dollars to repair. I dreaded loading the tractor and said could there be anything else. Reluctantly he told me to turn a screw down by where all the hydraulic hoses meet near the hydraulic filter. It said it "had" to be at 12:00 high. My screw looked to be almost straight up and down, but I went ahead and turned it just a little to make it straight up and down. It was about at 11:00 . Presto! Everything was fine and my front end loader started working full power while engine was idling just like it used to! Saved me a ton of time and money. I have very rocky and bumpy terrain and somehow the screw had moved slightly. Won't ever forget this. Just a thought but check that screw and turn it straight up and down. Best of luck. Good news to have anyway.

/ Kabota L245 lift problem #5  
Hi estodd,
Take the relief valve apart and see if some of that rubber has it stuck open. When you take it apart just watch for the shims and make sure the spring is ok. The most likely place that I can see from the parts brake down is from the main piston. It has a oring and backer ring they are using for the rings. Also there are 2 oring for the control valve and they could blow out into the sump and would not let the lift come up. The oring parts would show up in your dain pan.
I see what you are saying about hooking up a gauge. But I would do as kenny said and get a pressure test before I done anymore then checking the relief valve. On ser# 11355 and down there is a plug in the relief valve housing and I think you might be able to hook into it.

Hope that helps you some