adding backhoe thumb, how to power it

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it #1  

alaskakubota

Silver Member
I want to add a thumb to my 3130 with BH90 backhoe that I just had installed yesterday, and it kicks some good AZZ. Anyways, just had to say it works good, I want to add a hydraulic thumb to it. I have 2 power beyond outlets on my tractor because the backhoe runs on one, and the grapple works on the second. So I will be adding a third power beyond to run the thumb. How can I run the thumb sitting on the backhoe seat and not having to turn around and grab the lever? Is there a foot control that a guy could install that would run the thumb? Do other people use a joystick somewhere? Any help would be great.

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it #2  
You could use a 12v electric hydraulic 4 way valve, with a thumb switch on your joystick valve. They run about $100.00. About the only problem is you have full pressure at the git go, where as a lever valve could feather the action.

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it #3  
You could use a 12V diverter valve plumbed to your curl outputs on the hoe.

Put a foot switch on the floor to activate valve.

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it #4  
I want to add a thumb to my 3130 with BH90 backhoe that I just had installed yesterday, and it kicks some good AZZ. Anyways, just had to say it works good, I want to add a hydraulic thumb to it. I have 2 power beyond outlets on my tractor because the backhoe runs on one, and the grapple works on the second. So I will be adding a third power beyond to run the thumb. How can I run the thumb sitting on the backhoe seat and not having to turn around and grab the lever? Is there a foot control that a guy could install that would run the thumb? Do other people use a joystick somewhere? Any help would be great.

Just to clarify: You do NOT have 2 "power beyond outlets" Power beyond is defined as a "loop" of constant hydraulic flow that is used to power attachments that have their own valves, like backhoes and log splitters. Power beyond does NOT have handles to control them.

What you have is two hydraulic "remotes" and want to add a third remote. Remotes have their own valves to control cylinders on attachments.

Please understand that I am not criticizing what you wrote, I only want you under understand the differences and proper terminologies.

I assume to operate you backhoe you need to hold one handle open on one of your remotes?

I electric diverter is a great choice, it basically "splits" one circuit into two electrically. Do a search for "diverter" for a lot of good reading on the subject.

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it #5  
You could use a 12v electric hydraulic 4 way valve, with a thumb switch on your joystick valve. They run about $100.00. About the only problem is you have full pressure at the git go, where as a lever valve could feather the action.

I agree with everything BUT the $100 part-I have not seen any that cheap.

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it
I have a few questions about this. Looking further into this, would I get the hydraulic flow from the hydraulic remote or where do I tie into this? Does anyone have any pictures of this switch that hooks up to my lever? Sorry for so many questions, just dont know enough about this and want to do it right. Who has put a thumb on and made it work?

/ adding backhoe thumb, how to power it #10  
I have a few questions about this. Looking further into this, would I get the hydraulic flow from the hydraulic remote or where do I tie into this? Does anyone have any pictures of this switch that hooks up to my lever? Sorry for so many questions, just dont know enough about this and want to do it right. Who has put a thumb on and made it work?

If you go the diverter route, then you would install it AFTER the control valve that operates the curl circuit (or any other circuit-even one of the outriggers will work) So basically you would have hose run from the stock control valve, to the input of the diverter valve, then hoses from the diverter to the original cylinder AND to the grapple cylinder. If you search "diverter" like I said before you should see plenty of pictures of handles-but they will mostly be on the FEL joystick, as that is what most of the diverter threads are about, adding a circuit to a FEL to operate 4n1 buckets, grapples and snowplows.

If you go the electric valve route like JJ posted, then that would get installed on the main lines that feed you backhoe now, and you would need a 3 position rocker switch (ON-OFF-ON) to operate it versus a single mopmentarty switch to operate a diverter valve.