JD4100 Rockshaft Problem

/ JD4100 Rockshaft Problem #1  

FFL

I have a problem with the rockshaft of my JD 4100. Several months ago the 3 pt stayed up. would not lower after playing with the lever it finally worked.

I used the front end loader and put a counterweight on the 3 pt (650lbs) when I was done I went to remove the weight so I could install the Mower and It would not lower. I let it sit for several weeks and it still was up. Might have dropped 2 in.

I removed the weight with a fork lift and then the shaft started bouncing up and down. With no weight the arms go up and down with the lever. If you stop the arms in a middle position the arms creep upward a small amount. If you apply weight to the arms the start bouncing up and down. If you have weight on the arm and you lower the arms they bounce if you raise them even slightly it stops.

/ JD4100 Rockshaft Problem #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

It almost sounds like you have two separate problems...

When the 3PH won't lower, it's often the rate-of-drop valve (the knob under the seat) that sticks. Sometimes turning it back and forth will free it and sometimes it need to be removed and cleaned out.

The "bouncing" of the 3PH is usually the feedback linkage that keeps the arms at a set level...Have you lubricated all the linkages that are connected to the rockshaft lever?