Power steering conversion questions

/ Power steering conversion questions #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
My tractor has manual steering which is no problem if I don't have my FEL on but just the weight of the FEL makes a huge difference in steering effort, much less with a full bucket of material. I have looked at power steering kits but always shelved the idea after adding everything ($$$) up. As some here know, I've just gone through a steering box issue and am certain it is the long term effect of having my loader on 90+ percent of the time.
I have searched Ebay several times for orbital steering valves and they can be had fairly cheap with a little patience. Particularly, I have seen tht Ebay is a good source of cheap valves from the old J.D. lawn tractors like a JD 318. Is there any reason that one of these valves wouldn't be able to be used on a larger tractor? I have searched the internet trying to find the 318's hydraulic flow and pressure without success but seems it might be compatible to my compact since the 318's were hydrostat, power steering and FEL compatible which leads me to think their steering valve might be designed for enough flow/pressure for my purpose. $50-$100 for a valve and steering column/shaft would certainly bring me closer to jumping into this project. Any ideas or suggestions?

/ Power steering conversion questions #2  
Not familier with either tractor but I'd try it. Does the valve work off of tractor hydraulics or separate pump with power steering fluid? If separate and the weight difference is much just add a cooler in the return line. A little help turning that wheel is better than no help.;)

/ Power steering conversion questions
From what I've seen on the net, the JD's power steering appears to have been run off a single pump for the tractors hydraulics. Actually, I would prefer to set mine up with a salvaged automotive pump so I don't have to worry about plumbing into existing system, priority flow, enough GPM from my tractors pump, etc. but am not yet certain I have enough room to mount one.

/ Power steering conversion questions #4  
I have mentioned having a Jacobson LF-128 lawnmower out back that is hydraulic steering. I think I priced that steering setup to another member for $150, but he found something local rather than shipping mine. The LF probably weighs in at as much as a SCUT, so it might be of interest. Stripping all of the system off the mower is possible, if it interests you.
David from jax

/ Power steering conversion questions #5  
If the high effort is from only occasional loader use, then adding more air to the front tires will get you partway "there". Another cheap fix would be to put extensions on the steer arms to lower the net tierod loads. Some tractors have steer arms with several position settings. You will need to reset the front toe-in, too.

If that's just not enough, there are some steering column mounted steering assist motors that can be inserted in your tractor. Some assembly required, though. A car rack and pinion will also work if you can mechanically and hydraulicly fit it in. The steering wheel won't self center because the loads are much less, but 2 garage door springs on the steer arms will make it acceptable.

Lastly, if the front axle can be tipped (in the side view), changing the castor to a Negative value will help. On some tractors you do this by putting the front beam axle in reversed and reinstalling the knuckles.

I'd go with the air first, thats good for the tires under heavy load anyways and will help with tractor stability when moving with the loader filled.

/ Power steering conversion questions #6  
If you want a 1k$ conversion.. or perhaps aprts.. contact jackson power steering.. thaey make some older tractor conversions..

soundguy

/ Power steering conversion questions
Sandman, I would be interested. Can you describe/list the components that would come off the mower (I know,I know-look at the pics but I'm not certain what everything is and if that's everything). Thanks

Appreciate the other responses, I have increased tire pressure and it helped and the other suggestions will be considered. As Soundguy suggested, I have looked at their PS kits and the $1k was what I have been shying away from (yes, Im cheap).

I just got in from a double shift and if I get in bed now I can get about 4 hrs. sleep before leaving for another double so depending how tired I am tomorrow when I get home I will respond again ( in other words, I'm pooped and it may be a few days before I am back on the computer.
Thanks everyone.

/ Power steering conversion questions #8  
Just took a look through the Surplus Center catalog and found a power steering assist unit. Don't remember the cost or page it was on but check it out. Basically it goes between the manual steering box and the steering wheel. Add a double acting cylinder necessary hoses and a power steering pump such as an older Chevy pump and you should be able to assemble a pretty good system for little cost.

Good luck

/ Power steering conversion questions #10  
The thumbnail pictures I posted are of each end of the steering rod, and the ones with the tape measure are of the valve at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft.
The original idea was going to use the whole steering axle in place of the one on the lawn tractor, but that never happened.
Whatever parts your interested in, just let me know. Stripping them off should be fun, lol!!
David from jax