help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder

/ help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder #1  

tedder

Tractor
Kioti DK35
i have a kioti kl1450 loader that i pulled the rod nut off and want to replace my cylinders with new ones instead of trying to rebuild this one. i was told that the only way to rebuild this problem is to machine the threaded part of the rod and rethread it to a smaller size thread. i would think that this would decrease the strenght of the cylinder and i would have this problem again. i would like to replace the cylinders with something else than the kioti. kioti wants too much $. i have checked the surplus center with no luck. kioti must have looked all over the world and made a cylinder that no one has. does anyone know of another source for cylinders?

tedder

/ help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder #2  
Hello Tedder,

Kioti probably manufactures their cylinders. You can take your old cylinder to a hydraulic shop and they can make a new rod and order aftermarket seals.

/ help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder
Thanks Wayne,

I got the cyclinder torn down and figured out that if i rethreaded the rod i could get it working again. i retreaded the 5/8"x18 to a 5/8"x11 and so far it worked. it won't be as strong but will last awhile when they break again i'll look for a set of cylinders that will work maybe have to modify them but kioti's 1.75" bore cylinders are definitly as you said made by them.

thanks, tedder

/ help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder #4  
I would cut the 5/8 shaft off and have a machine shop drill and tap, put in a 5/8 stud in the end with lock tight. Now if it happens again just get a new stud. I would be looking for a machine shop now I think you well need one.

Thanks Leejohn, but I'm going to buy new (another brand) cylinders when i have problems again. Kioti cyclinders are not very well constructed the pistons are aluminum instead of steel and only use an oring and a wiper to seal. Other cyclinder makers use teflon seals and dutile steel pistons. this explains why my bucket always creeped even after the dealer swapped the cyclinders out. I hope the fact that this loader is a 2001 model that Kioti has quit building cheap cyclinders.

tedder

/ help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder #6  
Hey, not so fast there Tedder. Aluminum pistons are very common. They use aluminum because when you use an iron piston you then need a wear band otherwise the iron would score the cylinder bore. An aluminum piston also gives a longer stroke in the same length cylinder because now you don't have the wear band taking up space. So if you swap out cylinders, you will probably lose some stroke. When I was at Wallace Tractor's open house last summer we tore down a Kioti bucket tilt cylinder and I was quite impressed with it's quality. They used a high quality 5 piece piston seal and the rod seal was nothing to sneeze at. I've seen some pretty old Kubota cylinders that use only an o-ring and a back-up for the rod seal and they hold together as long as a lot of other designs. The only problem I have with a Kioti cylinder is the price of their seal kits, just ask anyone at Wallace's open house last summer. But in defense of the dealers, it's not them, it's Kioti.

Wayne, if what you say about the quality of the newer tilt cylcinders then Kioti imporoved their design since 2001.

tedder

/ help finding a fel bucket tilt cylinder #8  
You could also check Northern Tool site for cylinders. I don't know your specs (closed length, piston diameter, stroke, etc.) but they have several to choose from.