Hard lines.

/ Hard lines. #1  

Reg

Elite Member
What are the generally used fittings for steel lines ?
In particular, is there a general standard and is it the same as is used for automotive brake lines ?
It would be SO HANDY if I could just buy off the shelf brake line at my local NAPA store in standard lengths and bend it to fit.
Maybe two standards, one inch and one metric ?

/ Hard lines. #2  
NAPA brake line won't handle the pressure.

Standard fittings, if such a thing can be said, are often JIC. But, there are sooooooo many different types depending on exact use. BUT, JIC are common and cheap.

You need to get real steel line for hydraulic use and not brake line. That's a bad idea.

jb

/ Hard lines. #3  
HydraulicStore is a good source for steel tubing and compression fittings, or a local store if you have one in your area.

/ Hard lines. #4  
Discount Hydraulic Hose has two types of fittings for steel tubing that do not requiring flaring. The "Flareless" connects tube to a special flareless fitting and the other end of that fitting will be a standard connection, National Pipe Tapered, in many cases. They have worked well for me, though they are a bit bulky for working in tight spots because the fittings are rather long.

The second type is the Convert-a-Flare that connects tube to JIC 37 deg male fittings. It has always worked well for me also, and is the best if you are working with JIC anyway.

I admit in each case I was sceptical that the ferrule would compress around the tube tightly enough to make a tight seal (there is a narrow edge that bites into the tube), but they have stayed tight for several years of regular use.

/ Hard lines.
Thanks,
That was my suspicion, that brake hydraulics are in the 1500 to 1800 psi range and tractor hydraulics are 2 to 3 times that.
I'll follow the links, yes I do like and believe in compression fittings, they actually get tighter under pressure.

/ Hard lines. #6  
Brake lines are made of a softer, thinner walled seamed tubing. I don't know how they get away using that stuff for a braking system. Hydraulic tubing is generally .049" wall thickness, depending on diameter, and seamless. Generally a much higher quality tubing. Do not use brass compressions on steel tubing. Use the ones that Farmerford uses. They are called Ermeto flares and are very common, I use them and sell them all the time. You can even get them that crimp onto a hydraulic hose to repair a section of steel line.

As far as having what you need on hand goes, I stock about $2500 in steel line and fittings and I don't have enough. They make the ends in JIC, Flat-face o-ring, pipe thread, code 61 and 62 flange ends, etc. If you want to stock some, look at what is used on your equipment and buy that. I haven't used the ones from DHH but they look like they should work nicely. I've been meaning to buy some to try out. Come to think of it, I did buy some of them for flat face o-ring about a year ago from DHH and they're still in the box. I never did try them. You know, it's a problem when I have so much in stock that I forget what I have. :)

Edit, here's a hint with the Ermeto compressions or making your own JIC flares. Always pre-set them. Take another spare fitting and tighten the new flare or the ermeto flare down on that, mash it real good. This is called "pre-setting" the fitting. Then, install it where it goes. Your chances of a leak will be much less than just a straight install onto the fitting.