Rear Remote Confusion...

/ Rear Remote Confusion... #1  

KHNewman

Bronze Member
Tractor
B7610HST
I have been on TBN since I purchased my tractor last year and I can't thank everyone here enough for everything I have learned lurking around on the board. I haven't posted becasue being a newbie I didn't think I have much knowledge to contribute and so far I have been able to dig out the answer to every other question by searching old posts but after 3 nights of searching I am still a little perplexed on a rear remote setup and I am hoping someone like MadRef might be kind enough to help clarify the situation...

I have done extensive research and have a clear idea how a rear aux valve setup would be installed using a 3 line system tapping off the power beyond port on the loader valve to add an aux valve in series to the rest of the system.

Per MadRef:
"The proper way to connect your aux valve would be to:

1. disconnect the hose that goes from the loader's PB port to the hydraulic block at the hydraulic block.

2. connect the loader PB hose, using the appropriate nipple/fittings, to another hose that will be connected to your aux valve's inlet port.

3. run a hose from your aux valve's PB port to the hydraulic block and connect it to where the loader's PB hose was previously connected.

4. run a hose from your aux valve's outlet port and tee it into the loader's return to tank line at the transmission sump."

My question becomes when you just need a rear remote quick connect point for an attachment like a log splitter that has its own valve I am bit confused becasue this looks to be a two line setup and confuses me about how this works based on the 3 line logic outlined above. Here is my understading of how I would setup the rear remote quick connect points on a B7610 for a log splitter.

If I understand correctly what I have read on other posts you are essentailly creating a loop where you can interrupt the power beyond port that is currently on the loader valve and insert the log splitter into the series.

This setup requires that when the log splitter is not hooked up you connect the two rear remote ports together to complete the circut again or you will damage the pump.

To accomplish this you would:
1. disconnect the hose that goes from the loader's PB port to the hydraulic block at the hydraulic block.

2. connect the loader PB hose, using the appropriate nipple/fittings, to another hose that will be connected to quick coupler mounted somewhere on the rear of the tractor.

3. Connect another qucik coupler at the back of the tractor and run the line to the hydraulic block and connect it to where the loader's PB hose was previously connected.

This sounds logical becasue when you connect the two rear ports and complete the circuit it is like you didn't change anything but what I can't understand is when you attach the log splitter in between the ports you are placing a valve into the system and from what MadRef explained about a rear aux valve you would need a 3rd line running back to the tank on the low pressure side. The splitter seems to only have two conncections.

Three questions:

Is my desription of how to setup the rear remote quick connects correct?

Why doesn't the log splitter need a 3rd low pressure line to operate properly?

When the splitter is hooked up (and not being used meaning the valve is centered) can I still raise and lower the 3PH?

BTW the splitter valve is a "Prince open center, spring to center neutral control valve".

Thanks in advance for any help and I am sorry if I am utterly confused and off base here...

/ Rear Remote Confusion... #2  
I have a JD with power beyond. I use two different homemade splitters but both have what I believe are "open center" control valves. That is to say when there is no one leaning on the lever, the fluid flows straight thru. Seems to be a common splitter valve as I inherited both units from different sources.
I just bought the QDs that matched my power beyond hose, hooked them up and both work great....

/ Rear Remote Confusion...
Pat - thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly you are disconnecting the power beyond ports from the loader and hooking in the splitter directly on the loader valve?

Does the 3pt still work with the splitter attached becasue I would think it would be disconnected since it is generlally last in the series.

/ Rear Remote Confusion... #4  
Welcome to TBN KH:D

Sadly, Madref can no longer help any of us as he passed away a little over a year now, but I will gladly step in and help out the best I can.

My question becomes when you just need a rear remote quick connect point for an attachment like a log splitter that has its own valve I am bit confused because this looks to be a two line setup and confuses me about how this works based on the 3 line logic outlined above. Here is my understanding of how I would setup the rear remote quick connect points on a B7610 for a log splitter.

If I understand correctly what I have read on other posts you are essentially creating a loop where you can interrupt the power beyond port that is currently on the loader valve and insert the log splitter into the series.

This setup requires that when the log splitter is not hooked up you connect the two rear remote ports together to complete the circuit again or you will damage the pump.
That is 100% correct. If you just want to power a logspliiter, you just need to extend the PowerBeyond lines to the rear.

This sounds logical because when you connect the two rear ports and complete the circuit it is like you didn't change anything but what I can't understand is when you attach the log splitter in between the ports you are placing a valve into the system and from what MadRef explained about a rear aux valve you would need a 3rd line running back to the tank on the low pressure side. The splitter seems to only have two conncections.
You won't need the third RTT (return to tank) line for the splitter. It will work fine without it.

Is my description of how to setup the rear remote quick connects correct?
Yes
Why doesn't the log splitter need a 3rd low pressure line to operate properly?
Because the splitter valve will direct near 100% flow to the large cylinder so there would be very little left over that need to be returned to the tank. And most if not all splitter valve only have a IN and OUT port, and nor a PB port. The splitter valve also essentially becomes the last valve in the circuit and does not need the PB port.
When the splitter is hooked up (and not being used meaning the valve is centered) can I still raise and lower the 3PH?
Yes

Kenny - thanks for the answers this helps a great deal. Hydraulics can defintely be challenging for a newbie.

I'm really sad to hear about MadRef, he really added a lot to the board and he had a gift for explaining things clearly...I've read so many of his posts in the last year I almost feel like I knew him.

/ Rear Remote Confusion... #6  
KH,
From what I read, you have it correct.
By having a quick connect where you can "sever" the power beyond hose to stick your log splitter valve into the system, it is just like having them connected. Except the fluid is taking a "longer" route through you log splitter valve now when it is centered. You could do the same thing using the rear remote valve power beyond instead of the FEL valve power beyond if that gets your connections closer to the rear end.

To answer you other question, why doesn't the log splitter valve need a third return to sump line ... I'm not sure, but I think the way it's designed is that the return line on it is under pressure. It doesn't have a power beyond port on it. There are valves like that used on some tractors that way, like on my Chinese tractor. It will work but it's not the best way to feed another valve down the line.
Your question about using the the 3pt for example while your log splitter is centered, it should work since fluid is just passing through that log splitter valve like it was connected via the quick disconnects. I think that's right, but maybe someone can verify that.

EDIT:
I see Kenny has already answered ... he has a faster connection than I do !!!

Rob,

Thanks for the advice...when you mention the "rear remote valve" are you referring to the valve that runs the 3PH ? I have read that since the 3PH is generally the last item in the series it does not have a PB Port. Do you know if that is the case on a Kubota?

Kevin

/ Rear Remote Confusion... #8  
Rob,

Thanks for the advice...when you mention the "rear remote valve" are you referring to the valve that runs the 3PH ? I have read that since the 3PH is generally the last item in the series it does not have a PB Port. Do you know if that is the case on a Kubota?

Kevin

Speaking for Rob: He means a valve added to the tractor to power other things, NOT the 3PH valve. Your 3PH valve does not have a PB port.

Since you are most concerned with powering a splitter, have you searched for threads on them? There are LOTS of discussions on 3PH logsplitters.

Kenny,

I appreciate the answer on Rob's behalf. I think I have read almost every post on log splitters, rear remotes, rear valves and other related topics.

My real original question here was primarily about the hydraulic theory involved with a rear remote setup vs. a rear valve setup. You have answered those questions and I appreciate the help.

Kevin

Kenny,

Thanks for the answer. I think I have read almost every post on splitters, rear remotes and rear valves.

My original purpose of the post was about the hydraulic theory involved in rear remotes vs rear valves. I understand how both rear remotes and rear valves are plumbed but I couldn't reconcile what I saw as inconsistencies in the plumbing.

You have cleard that up and I apprecaite the help...

Kevin