Hydraulic Hose

/ Hydraulic Hose #1  

Spudland_Dave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935
How interchangeable are hoses/hose ends? Reason I ask is in the past I've just gone to my NAPA for custom hoses...they do good work, but man does it hurt the ol pocketbook (78.00 for 2, 3' hoses last time)...Working on my hydraulic chute rotator for the snowblower and i'll need a couple hoses... I dont really want to pile on the fittings to make a pre-made assembly work as a)it looks cheap and b) ends up being more expensive when you need 15 fittings to get a "cheaper" hose assembly to work....when I say cheap I dont mean quality, I mean in price...
I can get "Apache Hose & Belting" 3/8" 2 wire 4000 work PSI hose with 3/8" NPTM fittings 10' long for $25.00, 3/8" NPTM fits the bill for one end of my project, but not the other...could I just buy the 10' piece, cut it to where I need it and then have my NAPA Crimp on the ends I need?

/ Hydraulic Hose #2  
Any reputable hydraulic shop will NOT mix manufacturers of fittings and hoses. It's a compatibility and liability thing.

/ Hydraulic Hose #3  
I had a 3 foot(1/4" id") had made up for about 10$ at one of the local auto stores. I would think that you would want a smaller hase for directional control(to manage speed). The end fittings are the most expensive part.\

I'd shop around, and use as small of hose as practical.

Chris

/ Hydraulic Hose #4  
Dave, try not to take this wrong, but the reason you have to pay more from that guy at the Napa is he has to stock all those parts, the machine, the hose etc. etc.

You can get the "right" piece from him, and pay the premium, or shop internet etc. and get the not quite piece at a lesser price.

How much should he charge you for putting on that end after you bought the pieces somewhere else?

Pay the man the going rate, or deal with the adapters etc.

Not that I do any better, I still agonize and get aggravated over it every time I deal with either side of the same decision.

/ Hydraulic Hose #5  
Yeah Dave, you definitely want to use 1/4" hose like Chris said, there is no need for 3/8" hose on a chute rotator.

I bought 2 hoses today, 1/4" one 51", one 62", NPT on one end and a 90* JIC on the other for $70.00. ANYTHING to do with hydraulics is expensive:eek:

You could also call DHH and get a price

/ Hydraulic Hose
I was planning on going with 1/4" but the price of 3/8's was good....I got a Parker F400S flow control valve I'm gonna use to fine tune the speed right where I want it...so other then price, hose size wasnt gonna be an issue.
I totally understand that Hydraulics are expensive....I finally mounted the Hyd Motor and stuff today and got an accurate measurement of what I need now so I went on Surplus Center and priced it all out...with fittings, etc.. I ended up with a 66.00 order... At that price, I might as well head on up to Napa tomorrow and get exactly what I want right tomorrow.

As far as pressing on an end...last time I went in there I went in with a hose I already had and said "I need one just like this except 12" shorter" and HE offered to cut & press a new end on....

Thanks for talking guys....gonna go get my hoses tomorrow...

Man I love TBN!

/ Hydraulic Hose #7  
Any reputable hydraulic shop will NOT mix manufacturers of fittings and hoses. It's a compatibility and liability thing.
Fortunately, my NAPA store will if the hoses are within close dimension of the nominal hose. I have had a couple custom made that way from stock made up hose from Surplus Center. They have some real nice 3/8 hose rated at 4500PSI.
larry

/ Hydraulic Hose #8  
Fortunately, my NAPA store will if the hoses are within close dimension of the nominal hose. I have had a couple custom made that way from stock made up hose from Surplus Center. They have some real nice 3/8 hose rated at 4500PSI.
larry

Your local NAPA does this because at best they are morons. There are some NAPA stores with knowledgable employees, but generally their counter guys are known as one step above McDonalds french fry makers.

Almost all hose with the same 100R # have the same I.D. and O.D. but that does not mean that the crimp fitting will hold on it. Most NAPA's carry either Gates or Weatherhead hose. If either of them found out that a NAPA does what you say they do, they would get a serious talking to. Like Kenny said, no reputable shop does this.

/ Hydraulic Hose #9  
Your local NAPA does this because at best they are morons. There are some NAPA stores with knowledgable employees, but generally their counter guys are known as one step above McDonalds french fry makers.

Almost all hose with the same 100R # have the same I.D. and O.D. but that does not mean that the crimp fitting will hold on it. Most NAPA's carry either Gates or Weatherhead hose. If either of them found out that a NAPA does what you say they do, they would get a serious talking to. Like Kenny said, no reputable shop does this.
Its not rocket science. Problems are obvious. What other problems do you foresee other than ID/OD and # braids?
larry

/ Hydraulic Hose #10  
Its not rocket science. Problems are obvious. What other problems do you foresee other than ID/OD and # braids?
larry

Some manufacturers make their crimps to bite the hose covering and some are made to bite the wire. If you mix the two, you are looking for disaster. Even though the ID and OD may be the same, the distance of the wire braid to each varies between hose manufacturers and that's where the problem comes in. ID and OD are such a minor part of that whole equation. It's what is inbetween the ID and OD that matters.