Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #1  

rootytoot

Tractor
Ford/NH Model 1920, Allis Chalmers Model G
Hi, I'm a new owner of a Woods BH80-X backhoe (which I use on a Ford model 1920 tractor, if it matters). I disconnected the backhoe from the tractor for a few weeks to do some tilling, and when I went back I found that some hydraulic fluid had leaked from the hoses. Is this normal? I had left the outriggers supporting the backhoe after disconnecting the backhoe; should I have lowered the backhoe assembly onto a support before disconnecting the hydraulic quick connects so that the outriggers weren't pressurized by the weight of the backhoe?

Or do you think I should raise this as a quality issue with the dealer I purchased the backhoe from?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Kurt

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #2  
A little seepage may be normal. I do however think you should block the unit up, it helps keep the unit from settling causing re installation problems, and for safety reasons like someone playing with a lever.

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #3  
Well, that was a memory refresher... my kids are pretty grown up but there's neighbor kids that come over now and then --

I'd hate to have them pull on the hoe levers for the stabilizers; could be a disaster!

Good note, kenny. Thanks.

AKfish

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #4  
The couplers for my JD 245 loader (when it's off) Leak bad enough I put a drip pan under them. Since I bought the tractor and loader used, I bought new couplers, male and female from the JD Dealer. They still leak. I don't know if it's because they are the ball style or not. I don't want to buy all new poppet style and find they leak too.

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #5  
On my KUBOTA ,Iplug the in and out disconnects on the hoe togeatherwhen i remove it ,to prevent leaks and keep the crap out of them.Idont know if this would be an option?
ALAN

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #6  
How much is leaking out? teaspoon, pint, quart? I know even a small amount is disturbing, but if it's just a small leak I wouldn't worry about it. You could ask the dealer if you could get replacement QD's to put on or Alan has a good idea, connect the input to the output after you take the BH off the tractor. If they wont reach you could always have a small hose make with correct QD's made up.

Wedge

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #7  
I really like what Alan and Wedge recommend.
Seems that would put an end to the leaking problem unless the QD's started leaking when connected together? I don't have that problem since mine has it's own PTO pump.

As a side note, does anybody have trouble with the stabilizers leaking down during use?
I had to reset mine frequently so I added double pilot operated check valves to them. I got an added benefit from doing that too. In regards to what Kenny and AKfish said about the hoe leaking down during storage, with the DPOCV's, mine does not do that anymore. I've had it sit for 3 or 4 months and not leak down a smidgen, so it's always in the same position for hook up. And with safety in mind, you can pull the levers but the check valves keep them from moving position since they need hydraulic pressure to crack them.
I got them from CCM and hard plumbed them to the cylinders.

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #8  
I always plug the QD together. A good reason for doing this is to prevent you from dead heading a circuit, plus it equalizes the pressure in the lines for hookup, and helps keep dirt and moisture out. Like someone said, you can make adapters for those lines that are bolted down. Just a short hose with a male and female fitting on each end.

The flat faced QD are not supposed to leak, and you can also connect under pressure. They are mainly used on skid steers, and are more expensive. In case you don't know, Bailey Hydraulic Cylinders Manufacturer is a good company for all your hydraulics heeds. They have surplus items and specials quite often, and they can answer questions about hydraulics.

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #9  
I really like what Alan and Wedge recommend.
Seems that would put an end to the leaking problem unless the QD's started leaking when connected together? I don't have that problem since mine has it's own PTO pump.

As a side note, does anybody have trouble with the stabilizers leaking down during use?
I had to reset mine frequently so I added double pilot operated check valves to them. I got an added benefit from doing that too. In regards to what Kenny and AKfish said about the hoe leaking down during storage, with the DPOCV's, mine does not do that anymore. I've had it sit for 3 or 4 months and not leak down a smidgen, so it's always in the same position for hook up. And with safety in mind, you can pull the levers but the check valves keep them from moving position since they need hydraulic pressure to crack them.
I got them from CCM and hard plumbed them to the cylinders.

Do those check valves work like the pilot operated load check valve, if not, how do they work. Until you tell me, I am guessing that pressure raises the ball off the seat in either direction for normal operation. My lift assembly will drop overnight, but I think it is the fluid slipping by the valve spools. I can hear it pop and crack as I work around the machine.

/ Quick connect leaks on disconnected back hoe #10  
Never mine,, I reread your post.