purging air from hydraulic lines

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #1  

nicknewhall

Tractor
New Holland TN75D
I have finished all new hoses and double-acting cylinder on a FEL snow plow. I will be using my 3rd scv, instead of the third function on my loader. this is on a TN75D with the 810TL loader. My question is, after everything is hooked up, how is the air bled from the lines and the cylinder?

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #2  
I would just open the valves slowly with low rps and the air will work its way out of the system.
Hopefully someone else will weigh in here, but I think they will have the same directions too.

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #3  
I've always just worked the valve slowly un til it operates in a normal manner.

/ purging air from hydraulic lines
Thank you. i thought that might be the case, but I always like a second opinion.

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #5  
Just run the rams to full extension in both directions. As you extend, the other side has no space left and then when you extend that, you get 100% oil. Two cycles and it's done!

PITA with a backhoe main boom cylinder though - you need to have it parked over a darn big hole so you can extend the arm down. Of course, every workshop has a convenient 6 foot hole in the floor to do this:rolleyes:

/Kevin

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #6  
I'm no expert, but my theory on purging/bleeding is that you don't have to run the cylinder all of the way in or out, you only need to make it stop moving so the pressure will build up. So, as long as a backhoe arm won't lift the tractor, you should be OK as long as it will attain full pressure by stalling.

As the cylinder pressurizes, the air gets pushed smaller and smaller into very tiny bubbles. After a few cycles, the bubbles all get displaced by oil and make their way back into the tank where they are free to effervesce out of the oil at normal atmospheric pressure.

Whether that theory is correct or not, the other posters are correct. Just run the cylinder a few times, and it magically starts working!

- Just Gary

/ purging air from hydraulic lines
Thank you one and all. I should have time to try it Monday. I will let you know how it turns out.

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #8  
Just use it, no need to be slow Expect some noise in the hydraulic tank as the bubbles hit. You will also need to keep it full. I don't know about the less than full operation, but I suspect that is correct. I know I didn't have full motion with the BH boom and it is air free. By the way, It would need to be a much deeper hole than 6 ft.

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #9  
Ditto what the others have said.

on instalation of large SA cyls wher ei'm using new hose i will usually leave a fitting loose and slowly pressurize the system witht he valve.. then tighten up and just run her all the way up.. then go for it.

soundguy

/ purging air from hydraulic lines #10  
I may be wrong on this but, shouldn't the cylinder you are trying to purge be horizontal or level so all the air can be purged. It seems that if you purge with the cylinder in an upright position, you will always have some air trapped, maybe on both ends.