Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter #1  

Nickyboy

Hi all, first post
I have my splitter about half done. I bought a 22 gpm Haldex (Barnes) pump from Northern, but it may be too big. I have a 7hp Lombardini vertical shaft diesel engine (24 ft lbs torque @ 3600 rpm) and a 10 gallon tank. Haven't run it yet, so I can return it. Is this pump too big for my rig? Guy here told me 16 gpm is as big as you'd ever need. Appreciate any opinions

Nick

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter #2  
How big a cylinder are you going to use? Will your valves pass 22 gpm? Is it a 2-stage pump? How about running the diesel at half that speed so it's quieter and lasts longer, if you still get good cycle time? More info, please.
Jim

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter
I have a 24" long cylinder with a 1-5/8" bore off a Cat Dozer. I don't have any more specs on it, and will buy a new one if I need to. The pump is a 2-stage unit. Don't understand question about my valves passing 22 gpm. Sorry for the lack of smarts. Hope this info helps.
Nick

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter #4  
I think you need about 16 hp to push 22 gpm at 2000 psi. What's the high pressure stage flow rate and pressure?

Also, the cylinder is pretty wimpy for a splitter. Most are 4" bore 2" rod.

jb

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter
Ugh- That's what Haldex tech support told me. They show 15 hp as the optimal size engine. Guess I'm going to send the pump back for a 16 gpm. Maybe buy a bigger cylinder, too. I think Northern has a cylinder/wedge kit they sell. In fact that's how I found this forum, antho I never found that particular thread. Thanks!

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter #6  
Nick, Use the CALCULATOR here on the Surplus Center website;) The one on the right is what you need.

/ Sizing a Haldex Pump for my splitter #7  
If you run the pump at 22 gpm, low psi around 650 psi it will take about 10 hp. If it goes to the second stage, the pressure will go up, and the gpm will decrease to around 6 GPM. and the pressure would be 3000. If this is true, then you will need about 12 HP to do the job. If I could find the exact specs on the pump I could give a more definitive answer.