How does this valve work??

/ How does this valve work?? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi,

Does anyone know how this valve works?? When they say cables, do they mean cables that run to the valve block and physically pull on something on the block, or electronic cables that actuate the valve??

Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail

Has anyone built an electronically controlled system like on the new CAT/Bobcat/ASV skid steers?? I was thinking that it'd make plumbing a lot easier because you'd only need to run wire, not pipe. Likely more $$ though....

I'm just brainstorming for ways to add a 3rd SCV for a grapple on my FEL, and 2 more SCV's on the rear for TnT.

Thanks,

-Jer.

/ How does this valve work?? #2  
When they say cables, do they mean cables that run to the valve block and physically pull on something on the block, or electronic cables that actuate the valve?
They mean 'mechanical' type cables. They "physically pull on something on the block".

/ How does this valve work??
   / How does this valve work??
I was thinking something like the one below. I'll admit I have no idea what one of these costs, but it does look like it'd be an awesome control device and a fun project. Something like this would be a lot easier to mount in an ergonomic spot than a mechanical valve would be. It would look good too.

Would the output from a stick like this be compatible with valves that are available from surplus center?? Are there valves available that allow for differential input to the different axis' (ie light touch vs. full force) ??

I'm thinking that if possible I'd convert my FEL controls to a stick like this with a rocker switch on it to run a 3rd FEL SCV. I'd then use the current factory 4 way FEL SCV to control 2 new rear SCV's, plus I'd have the 3rd rear SCV controlled by the current single stick.

At the end of it all I'd have 3 front, and 3 rear scv's, available all the time with no selector or diverter switches, which'd be nice. The JD diverter costs $2000, so if it's anywhere near that cost, I'd do it.

Lemme know what you guys think, if I'm crazy or not...... I'm no ag or hydraulic engineer (but my brother and his girlfriend both are!!!) but if the stick's output mates easily with certain valves, it wouldn't be all that hard, I don't think??...:eek:

Appreciate your opinions on my madness.....

-Jer.

Attachments

• g3universal.jpg
    g3universal.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 209
   / How does this valve work?? #7  
Another known source of multifunction control grips is Scorpion Technologies (Scorpion Technologies LTD.). They have products specifically targeted at the tractor market.

/ How does this valve work?? #8  
Andy-

Is the check valve on the 3rd circuit easily removed? It seems to me that would have to come out to use it with a double acting cylinder.

Aww shoot, sorry, I forgot to respond before. :eek:

I do forget, but I think the check valve can be removed and a JIC plug with the correct ORB o-ring installed on it will be okay. Or, an ORB plug but they're more expensive.

/ How does this valve work?? #9  
How do you control that block?? Is it via a 4 way joystick plus a button/switch, or is that a diverter/selector type valve where you choose which port of the 3 ports you are controlling with the stick???

-J.

To tell you the truth, I forget. Jeez, sorry, I must sound like Bill Clinton right about now. I just installed the valve and ran the hoses, nothing else really. The machine owner ran the wiring. I think all the wiring was already there. Wish I could help more.

/ How does this valve work?? #10  
Yes, the remote in your link uses mechanical cables to activate the valves. Remotes are handy if you're tight on space around the cockpit/cab. The handle can be mounted in a convenient location and the valve assembly is mounted elsewhere. In this case, within reach of the 78" cables. Keep in mind that hydraulics must still be run to/from the valve and the mechanical cables must run from the valve to the handle.

The problem with most electric valves is that they are either open or closed. You can't feather the valve so cylinders react to the full flow of the pump. Careful planning and sizing of the cylinders and pump are necessary or you can't control the speed. This is why many of the electric valves have restricters--To cut down on flow and thus slow cylinder movement. Still limited control though.