1997 MF 240 problem

/ 1997 MF 240 problem #1  

gator3

I tried to use the frontend loader to pick up the front end to change a flat tire in the field. When I got the tires off the ground, I let the loader handle return back to normal postion and the loader just let the front end fall back to the ground would not hold its position. I do not notice any leaks any where. The pump is on the back of the seat on the left side. Does anyone know if the pump could be the problem and if so are they hard to rebuild? Many thanks in advance, Gator3.

/ 1997 MF 240 problem #2  
It does not sound like a pump problem, but rather a control valve fault. I will assume this machine has a joystick type control...if so make sure all the linkages the connect the joystick to the actual valve are well lubricated.

/ 1997 MF 240 problem
Kennyd thanks for the fast reply. Is the control valve in the pump housing? Everything is well lubed and yes it is a joystick. I tried it again with about 1500 - 1800 rpm and it did not even try to lift the front end up. Is the control valve something I could fix? Thanks again, Gator3.

/ 1997 MF 240 problem #4  
The control valve is what the joystick and the hydraulic lines are connected to.

Lets start with the simple stuff. Have you checked the fluid level, and is it clean/clear and not milky looking?