Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal #1  

rboucher

Tractor
John Deere 4610 HST
I have a John Deere 4610 with a 460 Loader. Could anyone tell me how to remove the end cap on one of the loader's hydraulic cylinders so I can install a new rod?

I've removed the split ring but that doesn't seem to lock the end cap in...

I've searched the internet but can't seem to find what exactly holds the end cap in place....
Thanks....

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal #2  
I'm not familiar with the John Deere cylinders- but if there are holes in the end cap 180 degrees apart, you would use a spanner wrench and just unscrew the whole cap/end of cylinder.

Good luck!

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal #3  
I have a John Deere 4610 with a 460 Loader. Could anyone tell me how to remove the end cap on one of the loader's hydraulic cylinders so I can install a new rod?

I've removed the split ring but that doesn't seem to lock the end cap in...

I've searched the internet but can't seem to find what exactly holds the end cap in place....
Thanks....

Welcome to TBN:D

There are two type used by JD, read THIS thread and see if it helps you-if not post back here;)

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal
KennyD,
It seems like that is the type of cylinder I'm working on. So I push the rod guide into the cylinder, locate a groove on the inside of the cylinder, insert the orange plastic split ring that is tapered on one edge, and pull the rod guide out ? is that correct?

One hitch, my original rod has stripped threads and is no longer attached to the piston...

What then?

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal #5  
It seems like that is the type of cylinder I'm working on. So I push the rod guide into the cylinder, locate a groove on the inside of the cylinder, insert the orange plastic split ring that is tapered on one edge, and pull the rod guide out ? is that correct?

Yes, basically you pull the rod like a slide hammer.

One hitch, my original rod has stripped threads and is no longer attached to the piston...

Well, this suggestion is not for the faint-of-heart and should be used with EXTREME caution. I am not responsible for blah blah blah...anyway:

Put the orange split ring in, then pressurize the cylinder with air until the piston shoots itself out.

KennyD,
First, Thanks for the welcome and your quick response...this site a great resource.
Second, I'm afraid that the piston with the rod thread sstripped and removed won't pressurize since rod is not threaded into the piston...right?

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal #7  
Does the rod simple pull out? I guess I mis-interpreted the "stripped" part:eek:

Well, with enough air flowing into the cylinder the piston may "float" and you can then shake it down to the top...at least far enough to maybe hook it with something?

I am just guessing here-Never had this happen to me:(

KennyD,
Yes, the rod just pulls completely out which leave the piston with a huge hole in it!

I have been able to move the piston to the cap end and I have pushed the rod guide in and inserted the orange split ring into the groove inside the cylinder...

now to find something that I can insert and hook on to the piston to pull the assembly out!

Thoughts?

/ Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal #9  
The John Deere website shows a pictorial breakdown of your cylinders (see agriculture\parts catalog for model = 460). Looks like there have been several cylinder releases for this loader. Hope that helps a bit more....

Thanks Guys,
I would have have never figured this out on my own!:)

Now I also now where to find the darn parts breakdown on JDs website.

The last step is to find something to insert, hook the piston, and remove the end cap...::cool: