Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Default Re: Hydraulic Cylinder End cap removal

Quote Originally Posted by rboucher View Post
    Thanks Guys,
    I would have have never figured this out on my own!

Now I also now where to find the darn parts breakdown on JDs website.

The last step is to find something to insert, hook the piston, and remove the end cap...:
    If the piston hole is about 1/2 in, take a 1/4 rod and bend a small 90 degree end on it and insert in the cylinder center and hook the backside and you should be able to pull the piston out. When installing the new piston, be sure and use some locktite on the threaded end.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Not sure if your cylinder is same as used on my JD loaders. I have 48, 46A, 148, and 158 loaders and cylinders assemble same way in all four. There is a snap ring on the outside which prevents the head of the cylinder from sliding deeper into the cylinder. You can usually get it out with a couple screw drivers. It doesn't have any snap ring plier holes and might be too stiff even if it did. Once it is off you can push the head deeper into the cylinder exposing a wire ring snap ring. With the head out of the way it is relatively easy to hook the ring and get it out. It is what prevents the cylinder pressure from pushing the head out of the cylinder. The next part is the least obvious. The head pushing against the ring usually raises a burr at the edge of the groove where the wire ring snap ring sat. The head won't want to pull past that burr so you need to gently file or emery paper it down. If the rod is still attached to the piston you can now put a bar thru the rod eye and rap it with a big hammer to pull the head and piston out of the cylinder. The hard part for me is when you put everything back together you struggle to get the outside snap ring back in place. I made a special tool that allows me to put the tips of the snap ring in a tool that I can gradually spread. Be prepared, the snap ring will want to twist and jump off so you have to be holding it square against the head while spreading until it starts to slide on to the head. Put the snap rings around the rod before the head and piston.

Tractor
    John Deere 250

You guys just saved me..... Even my local Deere Dealer Mechanics looked at me like I was crazy. They all said, "It just unscrews.". Struggled for an hour or so. Researched for an hour or so. Found this thread, and five minutes later, DONE! Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12