Relieving Hydraulic Pressure

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #1  

kvent01

I have a front loader on a Kubota 29 HP tractor and took it off to put on the snowblower. Trying to put the front loader back on I did not get the loader completely flat when taking it off, so two of the hydraulic lines won't go on because of too much pressure in the line. Any help on relieving the pressure so that I can attach the loader again. Hard lesson to learn on making sure it is TRULY flat and released pressure!!!

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

This is actually a quite common problem, especially in the summer when the heat expands the fluid in the lines when it's parked outside.

Basically you need to press the poppet or ball in the end of the QD (quick disconnect nipple). Make sure you cover it with a rag as fluid will escape, and also the loader may move slightly when the pressure is relieved. I cover the QD, and then press it quickly against the frame.

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #3  
When you are finished with the implement on the front or rear, just plug the male fitting into the female fitting. This not only equalizes the pressure, but keeps the fittings from getting water or dirt in them. If you don't do this, at least hang the fittings down, never pointed up, because when the fluid cools, it may suck some of that water inside the hose.

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #4  
I have a front loader on a Kubota 29 HP tractor and took it off to put on the snowblower. Trying to put the front loader back on I did not get the loader completely flat when taking it off, so two of the hydraulic lines won't go on because of too much pressure in the line. Any help on relieving the pressure so that I can attach the loader again. Hard lesson to learn on making sure it is TRULY flat and released pressure!!!

As Kennyd says, just press the ball or poppet end of the male QA fitting on the hose on the frame of the FEL. Some hyd fluid will squirt out and the pressure will drop to zero in the line.
Also, before disconnecting QAs from either the FEL valve or my rear remotes, I move the joystick back and forth and side to side to bleed off the pressure on the upstream side of these valves. Makes connecting hoses a snap.

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #5  
When you are finished with the implement on the front or rear, just plug the male fitting into the female fitting. This not only equalizes the pressure, but keeps the fittings from getting water or dirt in them. If you don't do this, at least hang the fittings down, never pointed up, because when the fluid cools, it may suck some of that water inside the hose.

His FEL will have all male QD's on it. This is NOT an option.

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #6  
If the ball on the connector can't be pushed in, take a wrench and loosen the connector from the hose to release the pressure.

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure
Thank you to all of you, especially Ken, for your advice. I was able to get it back on using a small hex-wrench extension piece and a rag in a matter of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..seconds. Sure beats the 30+ minutes I spent yesterday struggling with it trying everything but...Your advice was right on! Thanks...will store this one away, and hope I can help in return, or forward.

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure #8  
Howdy,

I have this problem every Spring when I remove my snowblower and put on the FL.

I just crack the nut that holds the fitting, and allow a drop or two of fluid to bleed. That lowers the pressure enough for me to attach the fitting.

But there is something else I will mention:

On two or three occasions, I have had real hassles getting the front loader to seat properly. It appeared that somehow the frame of the tractor had "twisted" so that one side was about 1/2" higher than the other. It was not much, but no matter what I did, I could not get the loader into a position that would allow me to seat the pins. I spent hours working on it with lots of help from my dealer.

At one point, my son (then 7) watched me work on it, and I showed him the problem: One side of the tractor was just too low.

He said "Dad, maybe one tire is a little flat."

Well, you can guess the rest of the story.

Smart kid...

All the best,

Lothar