Plumbing question

/ Plumbing question #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I just got a post driver and I am trying to figure out how to plumb it to the tractor. This is on a FarmTrac 270DTC. There is a distribution block that has two lines in from the tractor. There is one line to the steering and two lines to the loader valve. One line goes to the pressure in and the other to the PBY port. On the loader valve there are four ports going to and from the loader cylinders. There is a return line leaving and going back to the sump. There also seems to be two unused ports. So are the two unused ports a supply and return for the PBY? Since I currently have no plans to add a grapple or such to the loader but would like to get some rear remotes to attach the post driver and hopefully a TnT can I disconnect the line from the distribution block that goes to the PBY port on the loader valve and run that back to the rear for the remotes? Can I then put a T in the return line from the loader valve for the return from the rear remotes?

/ Plumbing question #2  
This is what I just did on my JD 5103.

On the loader valve, the hose that was hooked to PB I disconnected that from tractor PB block and tied into that with a coupling and hose extension and ran it to the IN of my valve.

Then on the PB port of the new valve I ran that to the place I removed the hose from on my PB block on my tractor.

I then ran the OUT from my new valve and T'd into the T (tank) hose on my loader valve.

It took me a while to get all my fittings together, but once it was all done and hoses purchased it only took about an hour to get it all plumbed.

Just make sure your new valve has a PB port and don't forget to get the PB adaptor when you purchase the valve.

Just a note, my setup had a few NPT fittings, O-ring fittings, and O-ring face seal fittings which I didn't realize until after I started tearing it apart. So I couldn't start some of it before I had all the fittings and put it back together.

All in all, you would just loop your new valve in the PB circuit.

I hope that helps.

/ Plumbing question
After reading a couple other related threads here it sounds like you can loop valves in series by taking the pressure side from the tractor to the pressure in on the first valve then come out of that valve at the PB port to the pressure in on the next valve and so on. So what has me confused is that there are two lines going into my loader valve, one on the pressure in port and the other at the PB port. Then there looks to be also two unused ports coming out the back where the ports are for the loader. So does this loader valve use the second in coming circuit to power the two unused ports independently of the loader circuit giving me essentially two PB supply ports? If so I wonder if it would be easier to feed the rear remotes by taping off one of the unused ports on the loader and running that line to the rear.

/ Plumbing question #4  
I have the same thing on my loader valve, and was told I couldn't use those ports by JD.

So you have a total of 7 hoses hooked to the loader joystick? If so, you could put your new valve in between the PB port of the valve and the block on the tractor, or wherever that goes.

Your joystick may be different and able to use those ports, but you can't T into a high pressure line from what I have been told, you would have to loop into it.

/ Plumbing question
After looking at some pictures of other valves I think the two additional ports might be pressure relief valves for each spool. Is this correct? So why is the loader valve being fed by two inputs? Is this just to get more volume to make the loader move faster on these low volume tractors?

/ Plumbing question #6  
You guys are getting it figured out...but I thought I would jump in and help:D

So what has me confused is that there are two lines going into my loader valve, one on the pressure in port and the other at the PB port.
So why is the loader valve being fed by two inputs?
The hose on the IN port is coming from the pump, and the hose on the PB port goes out to the 3PH, or to the next valve in series. The PB port is an outgoing port-not incoming.

After looking at some pictures of other valves I think the two additional ports might be pressure relief valves for each spool. Is this correct?
Possibly, but often they are just a duplicate of another port-and only one can be used. It's there for plumbing convenience. The are usually 90* apart. If you post a picture, I can give a better answer.

/ Plumbing question
Kenny,
Thanks for the info. That starts to make some more sense. That is why there are two lines going into the top of the distribution block. One is feeding the oil and the other is taking the oil from the PB to the 3ph. That also means I need to look at the valve controlling the post driver. I wanted to use this as an excuse to 2 spool valve in back to hook up a TnT. I was going to use the PB from that valve to connect the post driver. If that valve does not have a PB then I can't get the 3ph to work with the post driver connected. I will try posting some pictures tomorrow evening or Friday.

/ Plumbing question
Here are some picture. The first picture is the distribution block showing the line to the PS, Loader in, from PB on Loader. The second picture is the top of the distribution block. You can see the line that connects to the top of the block and the one that connects on the side. One of these must feed the oil and the other is going to the 3PH from the PB from the loader. The third picture is of the valve on the post driver. That looks like it only has an in, work port and the return. My thoughts were to disconnect the line going into the distribution block from the loader's PB port. I would connect that to a two spool valve on the back to prepare for a TnT. I was then going to have the PB from that valve go to the post driver. The problem with that is that the return has to go directly to the sump so then I have no supply to the 3PH. I am thinking I need a diverter valve before the post driver to either feed the post driver or the 3PH. Does anyone have a way to do this with out the diverter valve? Do the more expensive tractors have more than just the one hydraulic supply?

Attachments

• Lower-Block.jpg
    Lower-Block.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 164
  • Upper-Block.jpg
    Upper-Block.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Driver-Valve.jpg
    Driver-Valve.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 228
   / Plumbing question #9  
Erick,
Your plan to add the new 2 spool valve is a good one, and I will not go into detial now on that... But I have a different idea for you post driver:

Once you get the new installed and working, I would just connect the driver's valve IN port to one of the spools with a QD (quick disconnect), just like you are plugging in a cylinder. Then you can either bungee the handle for that spool open-or better yet get a spool with a detent (not float) so the handle will stay open by itself.

With me so far?

Now for the RTT (return to tank), as you stated-you need a unrestricted flow so the hammer can fall quickly. You could a a Tee into the return line from the FEL valve and use a large QD...Or some have even made a new cap for their sump (where you add the fluid) with a large hose barb fitting so the return just dumps into the tank through the fill tube/hole.

This way you do not loose 3PH control, and the return is as unrestricted as possible. Also no dverter is needed so the plumbing is simpler.

If you use a Prince SV series stack valve for your new remote then you have lots of choices avaible to your for options.

Let me know what you think...

/ Plumbing question
Kenny,
That is something I have been thinking about. I was wondering if I just went to a 3 spool instead of the two. I was thinking of something like this Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail It says the third spool has a fourth position dent. Does that mean it has a dent to hold it open? This way if I get the TnT I can still have that function and then be able to hold the third spool open to run the driver. The 3 spool is about the same money as a 2 spool and diverter. If I don't get the TnT at the same time a bungee and the 2 spool is more economical. Do they make a three spool for only about 10gpm? My tractor state it runs 6gpm so the 25gpm valve I listed here is a bit of over kill.

As far as the return goes I think it might be better to do something like the hose barb in the filler hole. The return from the FEL looks smaller than what I could do with a hose barb in the filler hole.