1965 JD 1020 Hydraulics disappeared. Need advice.

/ 1965 JD 1020 Hydraulics disappeared. Need advice. #1  

ME Gentleman Farmer

Tractor
John Deere 1020 2wd gas
I have a 1965 JD 1020 2WD gas, that I use for plowing snow and working in my gardens in the summer. The hydraulics were always slow to move in the winter but would work fine after 15-20 minutes, yet my power steering always worked fine. Lately, the hydraulics have taken much longer (30-45 mins) and I would lose my PS. This last snow storm the hydraulics moved very slow and would randomly lose pressure and my bucket would drop. Eventually I lost all hydraulics, but still have PS. Bucket won't lift, counter weight on back won't lift. PTO works.
I'm not too familiar with tractors or hydraulics, so any and all opinions are welcomed.

/ 1965 JD 1020 Hydraulics disappeared. Need advice. #2  
My first sugestion would be to change the hyd. fluid and filter. If you have moisture in the hyd. system and it freezes the filter will plug with ice.
Bill

/ 1965 JD 1020 Hydraulics disappeared. Need advice.
Dumb question. Would anyone know where I would find the hydraulic filter on the tractor?

/ 1965 JD 1020 Hydraulics disappeared. Need advice. #4  
Buy the manual. it will be money well spent in the long run. The link below is $150.00 but look around for a cheaper one if that seems a little stiff. i always look on ebay and try to buy a download manual. usually very cheap and only print pages as i need them. as the pages get dirty i trash them and print more
Gook Luck

Cramies Manuals