Remotes for Grapple Use

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #1  

Lunk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720H / BL200 Loader
My tractor is having a pair of rear remotes installed. I intend to use them to power the 60" LD Grapple Rake I just ordered from Markham.

Some members refer to using a single rear remote to plumb the hydraulics, while others make it sound as if you need two - One to extend, and one to retract the ram.

Can someone tell me in plain english (I'm not a hydraulic engineer, after all), how the rear remotes are utilized for grapple service? I'm aware that I'll need to run a pair of hoses to the front of the tractor via the loader arms, but not much else.

Thanks,

Lunk

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #2  
One "pair" or "set" of remotes has to couplers, and requires two hose to operate the DA (double acting) cylinder on your grapple. There will be one handle to control one set of remotes. The handle will be spring centered-so you push the handle one way to open, and the other way to close. Don't like the way it operates? Then just flip the hoses and the functions will be reversed.

Clear as mud?;)

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #3  
Spend the extra money and get a joystick mounted up front . I cannot think of anything more awkward and possibly dangerous than trying to work the grapple from beside the seat .

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #4  
Spend the extra money and get a joystick mounted up front . I cannot think of anything more awkward and possibly dangerous than trying to work the grapple from beside the seat .

That statement is sure going to ruffle some feathers:eek: There sure are a LOT of guy's here using the rear remote to control grapples and 4n1's-not sure why you think it's "dangerous"? I way agree with awkward...but "dangerous"?

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #5  
Having your hand down beside you when trying to manipulate an item or push into a heap , intead of being a foot away from the steering wheel and gearstick would be dangerous in my book . Just as a matter of bodily balance if for no other reason . There is enough to do now with only two hands when pushing , lifting , grabbing and steering etc. simutaniously without taking one hand completely away from the control consul . And i can only imagine what would happen if you hit a stump while your right hand was beside the seat and your other hand was on a freewheeling steering wheel , you'd be spat straight out the right side of the tractor and onto the ground . It's only my opinion and i don't expect a flame war over it :) .

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #6  
Wow!!! I didn't realize I could get ejected from the cab by using the the rear 3rd valve to run my 4 in 1 bucket. I better rethink this.................never mind ,I always wear a seatbelt.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #7  
I def. think it is akward, My neighbor has a remote operated grapple on his Mahindra and Ive only used it a few times. However I definately prefer my solenoid operated 3rd function on the joystick. That way your hand never leaves the loader control or the steering wheel. I feel it's much more efficient for me.:)

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #8  
It's only my opinion and i don't expect a flame war over it :) .

No flame from me, but I think you are thinking of a different arrangement than the one I have on my New Holland. The picture shows my joystick and two levers. The closest lever is the 3PH and the other one is my remote I use for my grapple. I can hold my joystick between my thumb anf forefinger while still reaching my remote to close the grapple. Honestly, I just normally move my hand to the remote lever because 90% of the time there is no need to be operating the loader in lift or curl while simultaneously operating the grapple.

All that said, if my joystick was mounted on the loader post or up beside the steering wheel, my remote setup would be a lot more inconvenient. It just depends on the tractor and setup.

Attachments

• Joystick-Remote.jpg
    Joystick-Remote.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 555
   / Remotes for Grapple Use #9  
Having your hand down beside you when trying to manipulate an item or push into a heap , intead of being a foot away from the steering wheel and gearstick would be dangerous in my book . Just as a matter of bodily balance if for no other reason . There is enough to do now with only two hands when pushing , lifting , grabbing and steering etc. simutaniously without taking one hand completely away from the control consul . And i can only imagine what would happen if you hit a stump while your right hand was beside the seat and your other hand was on a freewheeling steering wheel , you'd be spat straight out the right side of the tractor and onto the ground . It's only my opinion and i don't expect a flame war over it :) .

Do you also oppose having manual tranmissions that require the operator to remove their hand from the steering wheel?

Controlling a grapple with a remote lever is virtually identical to the task of shifting gears with "4 on the floor". There is no significant risk involved once the muscle memory is established though it does take some practice in the beginning to do it without looking.

Using a button on the joystick is no less distracting and can induce other types of error. I've used both and actually prefer the separate remote lever for operating a grapple.

PS, this is not a flame. You did however state your case pretty strongly so those of us who disagree can hardly be expected not to reply in kind.

/ Remotes for Grapple Use #10  
Interesting discussion and has me thinking. I want to add 2 more rear remotes for a TNT setup on my Ford 2120 (have one already) and seems that I could either add a second joystick w/PBeyond or solenoid selector valve using existing loader joystick w/ switchs. My gut tells me hydraulics is going to be less maint. than adding electric but I don't know. Opinions?

Last edited: