Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

Default Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

On a NPT male thread when looking at the end of it, some are cut flat and others are cut with an inward bevel. How do you know if the bevel is going to be on a given fitting if ordering online or over the phone? Some of the fittings I need show a picture from the other end of the fitting Is there a descriptive term used to designate that inward bevel? I have a NPT female swivel fitting that will need that type of male end to seal properly. (I'm doing some shopping at burden sales surplus) Here one of the fittings I'm looking at.
    Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail
    I called, but the tech dept. went home early
    Thanks
    Joel

Kubota 2620 /364 FEL/ BH 65/ Thumb/ Remote valve/ Loaded R4"s/ "the thumb" Grapple

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST View Post
    I have a NPT female swivel fitting that will need that type of male end to seal properly. Thanks

On a NPT thread, the threads are the means of sealing. There is no seat.
    BX24

you will need this style if you want the bevel on the male threads
    the early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD

I know exactly what your talking about, it seems like the higher quality fittings have the correct inside bevel for a swivel fitting, the cheap knock-offs don't have it, i don't know much more than that, i used to deal with weatherhead fittings and they all had the correct beveling!!! they should designate that somehow especially when trying to order online, you never know what you are going to get!!!

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST View Post
    On a NPT male thread when looking at the end of it, some are cut flat and others are cut with an inward bevel. How do you know if the bevel is going to be on a given fitting if ordering online or over the phone? Some of the fittings I need show a picture from the other end of the fitting Is there a descriptive term used to designate that inward bevel? I have a NPT female swivel fitting that will need that type of male end to seal properly. (I'm doing some shopping at burden sales surplus) Here one of the fittings I'm looking at.
    I called, but the tech dept. went home early
    Thanks
    You are confusing NPT with ORB I think... ALL NPT threads are tapered so as the fitting is tightened it gets harder to turn.

The "flat-cut" as you say are SAE type (also called ORB for O ring Boss) like THIS

Don't worry about the picture...If it say NPT then you are good to go
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I am NOT referring to the "taper" of the NPT threads. I'm talking about the "back bevel" that is machined on the INSIDE of the male end. Enlarge the pic to see where I'm talking about. Some NPT have this, some do not. What gives?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2-jpg  
    Joel

Kubota 2620 /364 FEL/ BH 65/ Thumb/ Remote valve/ Loaded R4"s/ "the thumb" Grapple

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

Quote Originally Posted by hanson1999 View Post
    I know exactly what your talking about, it seems like the higher quality fittings have the correct inside bevel for a swivel fitting, the cheap knock-offs don't have it, i don't know much more than that, i used to deal with weatherhead fittings and they all had the correct beveling!!! they should designate that somehow especially when trying to order online, you never know what you are going to get!!!
    You seem to know what I'm talking about. Look at my last post and see If were on the same page.
    Joel

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Joel,
    That taper is only required when you are connecting to a swivel-type fitting like referenced by LiquidWrench in the post above. Usually the only thing connected to that side of the swivel is a hose...and all the hose ends have it.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    Joel,
    That taper is only required when you are connecting to a swivel-type fitting like referenced by LiquidWrench in the post above. Usually the only thing connected to that side of the swivel is a hose...and all the hose ends have it.
    Exactly!

But if you want to put a fitting in the swivel end and not a hose end, how do you know if the fitting is going to have the bevel or not? In this case I need a bushing to reduce from a 3/8 NPT female swivel to 1/4 NPT male hose end. You can find fittings with the bevel, I got one recently. I had to go to a shop and show them in person what I was talking about. It's the one on the left. Sounds like I'll have to buy it locally. I didn't want to do that since the cost is substantially less online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tractor-130-jpg  
    Joel

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by johnray13 View Post
    On a NPT thread, the threads are the means of sealing. There is no seat.
    -Except- on the case when you mate a swivel.. in which case the thread deformation is not the sealing spot.. but rather a set and face... .. which is the exception the OP stated...

soundguy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast