Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    148
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

    Default Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    On a NPT male thread when looking at the end of it, some are cut flat and others are cut with an inward bevel. How do you know if the bevel is going to be on a given fitting if ordering online or over the phone? Some of the fittings I need show a picture from the other end of the fitting Is there a descriptive term used to designate that inward bevel? I have a NPT female swivel fitting that will need that type of male end to seal properly. (I'm doing some shopping at burden sales surplus) Here one of the fittings I'm looking at.
    Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail
    I called, but the tech dept. went home early
    Thanks
    Joel

    Kubota 2620 /364 FEL/ BH 65/ Thumb/ Remote valve/ Loaded R4"s/ "the thumb" Grapple

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    76
    Location
    Northern Va
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST View Post
    I have a NPT female swivel fitting that will need that type of male end to seal properly. Thanks

    On a NPT thread, the threads are the means of sealing. There is no seat.
    BX24

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    you will need this style if you want the bevel on the male threads
    Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail
    the early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

  4. #4
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    305
    Location
    minnesota
    Tractor
    JD

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    I know exactly what your talking about, it seems like the higher quality fittings have the correct inside bevel for a swivel fitting, the cheap knock-offs don't have it, i don't know much more than that, i used to deal with weatherhead fittings and they all had the correct beveling!!! they should designate that somehow especially when trying to order online, you never know what you are going to get!!!

  5. #5
    Advertiser kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,801
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST View Post
    On a NPT male thread when looking at the end of it, some are cut flat and others are cut with an inward bevel. How do you know if the bevel is going to be on a given fitting if ordering online or over the phone? Some of the fittings I need show a picture from the other end of the fitting Is there a descriptive term used to designate that inward bevel? I have a NPT female swivel fitting that will need that type of male end to seal properly. (I'm doing some shopping at burden sales surplus) Here one of the fittings I'm looking at.
    Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail
    I called, but the tech dept. went home early
    Thanks
    You are confusing NPT with ORB I think... ALL NPT threads are tapered so as the fitting is tightened it gets harder to turn.

    The "flat-cut" as you say are SAE type (also called ORB for O ring Boss) like THIS


    Don't worry about the picture...If it say NPT then you are good to go
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com



    Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

    Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

    Visit our YouTube Channel

  6. #6
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    148
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Perhaps I'm not being clear. I am NOT referring to the "taper" of the NPT threads. I'm talking about the "back bevel" that is machined on the INSIDE of the male end. Enlarge the pic to see where I'm talking about. Some NPT have this, some do not. What gives?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2-jpg  
    Joel

    Kubota 2620 /364 FEL/ BH 65/ Thumb/ Remote valve/ Loaded R4"s/ "the thumb" Grapple

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    148
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Quote Originally Posted by hanson1999 View Post
    I know exactly what your talking about, it seems like the higher quality fittings have the correct inside bevel for a swivel fitting, the cheap knock-offs don't have it, i don't know much more than that, i used to deal with weatherhead fittings and they all had the correct beveling!!! they should designate that somehow especially when trying to order online, you never know what you are going to get!!!
    You seem to know what I'm talking about. Look at my last post and see If were on the same page.
    Joel

    Kubota 2620 /364 FEL/ BH 65/ Thumb/ Remote valve/ Loaded R4"s/ "the thumb" Grapple

  8. #8
    Advertiser kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,801
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Joel,
    That taper is only required when you are connecting to a swivel-type fitting like referenced by LiquidWrench in the post above. Usually the only thing connected to that side of the swivel is a hose...and all the hose ends have it.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com



    Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

    Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

    Visit our YouTube Channel

  9. #9
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    148
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Tractor
    kubota 2620 HST

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    Joel,
    That taper is only required when you are connecting to a swivel-type fitting like referenced by LiquidWrench in the post above. Usually the only thing connected to that side of the swivel is a hose...and all the hose ends have it.
    Exactly!

    But if you want to put a fitting in the swivel end and not a hose end, how do you know if the fitting is going to have the bevel or not? In this case I need a bushing to reduce from a 3/8 NPT female swivel to 1/4 NPT male hose end. You can find fittings with the bevel, I got one recently. I had to go to a shop and show them in person what I was talking about. It's the one on the left. Sounds like I'll have to buy it locally. I didn't want to do that since the cost is substantially less online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tractor-130-jpg  
    Joel

    Kubota 2620 /364 FEL/ BH 65/ Thumb/ Remote valve/ Loaded R4"s/ "the thumb" Grapple

  10. #10
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,376
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: Hydraulic fittings are driving me crazy!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnray13 View Post
    On a NPT thread, the threads are the means of sealing. There is no seat.
    -Except- on the case when you mate a swivel.. in which case the thread deformation is not the sealing spot.. but rather a set and face... .. which is the exception the OP stated...

    soundguy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.