Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #1  

Wayne_Freeman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
My Kubota L3400 has an older 4690 backhoe that has done quite well until today when I bent the boom cylinder rod. I was digging some riprap around my spillway mouth and had the bucket four feet below the ground surface when I realized the boom could not come back up and the cylinder was visibly bent. The new cylinder is on order but I would like to figure out what I did to cause this failure. Searching this site I have found where dipper and crowd cylinders have bent when digging close in to the tractor but nothing concerning the boom cylinder. Does anyone have any information to share?

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #2  
If it was only bent a little, you can straighten them out in a hydraulic press. That's much cheaper than replacement, but may not always work.

I would have replaced with a cylinder that had a 1/4 to 1/2" larger rod diameter and maybe a 1/2" larger cylinder diameter also. But I'm a "more power" type.

jb

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #3  
How about some pictures? Did you buy a complete cylinder from Kubota? :eek:

Rods usually bend when the rod is extended and something tries to push it back into the cylinder.

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder
Attached is a picture of my bent boom cylinder. I took it to Savannah Ga. yesterday to a repair shop and found out pretty quick the repair was as much or more than a new one. Cost is $300 plus shipping from Messicks. Wonder if there is a cheaper generic somewhere? I have dug a ton of stumps with no problems. This time I was digging 4 feet below ground level and obviously did something wrong?

Attachments

• Cylinder.jpg
    Cylinder.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 357
   / Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #5  
If you had the stick perfectly straight down in the hole, with the boom at almost 90 degress to it, and then uncurled the buckt against bottom, the weight of the tractor could be lifted by the bucket, and forces would concentrate at the extended boom cylinder. This is the only way that I can see enough down pressure to bend the boom cylinder.

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #7  
Attached is a picture of my bent boom cylinder. I took it to Savannah Ga. yesterday to a repair shop and found out pretty quick the repair was as much or more than a new one. Cost is $300 plus shipping from Messicks. Wonder if there is a cheaper generic somewhere? I have dug a ton of stumps with no problems. This time I was digging 4 feet below ground level and obviously did something wrong?

Check

surplus center dot com

baileynet.com (need a tax tag to order from them. Maybe Wayne the hose guy can order for you and have drop shipped (at a profit for him)?

2 1/2 bore 24" stroke cylinders are in the 150 to 250 range. So the 300 is not out of the norm.

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #8  
Wayne, you are not that far from Agri Supply in Florence. I would check with them on cylinder. Be sure they have it in stock before you drive there. They do have good web site, just look for Agri Supply. They may have store in Georgia closer to you not sure.

/ Bent the Hoe Boom Cylinder #9  
Your pricing is not bad for that type of cylinder. Ouch for sure though...:eek: