Another grapple valve vs. button thread

/ Another grapple valve vs. button thread #1  

POC

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4x4
I know this has been gone over, and I searched, but I couldn't find a thread that answered just what I was wanting.
I'm going to put a grapple on the tractor, and need to add the additional function, just like everyone else...
That is all I'm looking to do right now, so as I see it, I can add a single handle, double acting w/ PB for about $120 (like Surplus Centers 9-6701 w/9-4895-B power beyond sleeve)
OR
I could put on a 12 VDC hydraulic solenoid for $110. (I see it says "D03 subplate mounting" does that mean I have to get the $47.50 subplate also?)

Other than adding in the wiring and button, do I have "apples to apples" here? Or are there other things?

Thanks for all the help guys,
Patrick

/ Another grapple valve vs. button thread #2  
I could put on a 12 VDC hydraulic solenoid for $110. (I see it says "D03 subplate mounting" does that mean I have to get the $47.50 subplate also?)

Yes, you NEED the subplate.

The MAIN difference between the two is that you cannot "feather" the solenoid valve, it is either ON or OFF. Now with the use of 1/4" hose to the grapple cylinder and possibly a flow restrictor, that may not be a big deal.

The solenoid can be mounted anywhere, the spool valve needs to be in reach...

/ Another grapple valve vs. button thread
Ok kennyd, maybe I'm missing somthing. I was wanting to make mine work like the guys with the buttons on their joysticks. Where the curl/uncurl action of the stick could be changed over to the open/close of the grapple. Is this solenoid valve not what I need for that?

Oh, I think I see now....the valve assembly that Hooked pointed out is more of a "selector switch" type, and what I had chosen was an actual control valve, but it is either open or closed. (Right?)
Thanks guys,
Patrick

/ Another grapple valve vs. button thread #6  
If you look at the thread Selector Valve in this forum it will explain the functions of the valve I sugested.
Bill

/ Another grapple valve vs. button thread #7  
Oh, I think I see now....the valve assembly that Hooked pointed out is more of a "selector switch" type, and what I had chosen was an actual control valve, but it is either open or closed. (Right?)
Thanks guys,
Patrick

There are two type of solenoid valves...

One is commonly called a "diverter" or "electric diverter", and that is use to "divert" the curl/dump function to the grapple. There is a single momentary switch usually on the joystick.

The other type is a true independent valve,(commonly called a 3rd function valve on TBN) that mounts on a sublate, it will work completely independently of the FEL joystick, and they are operated by a 3-position (ON-OFF-ON) momentary switch usually on the joystick. You cannot "feather" this type of valve.

Both the valve are plumbed differently also...

Clear as MUD:D

Thanks kennyd, I looked at the "selector valve" thread and found all the info I was wanting.

I do understand now what you are saying though: The diverter lets you use the same stick motion but something else moves. The "true" valve is like adding another handled valve, but without the handle, a button instead.
Gottcha.

Patrick

/ Another grapple valve vs. button thread #9  
Great!

A good diverter for just a grapple is the 9-5117 from the Surplus Center. The other option is the one being discussed in the other thread, but it's more complicated to hook up.

I wanted to keep some for expansion. But maybe I don't understand the way this works completely yet. If I have one more slot, I could still do something like tilt on the 3PH, right?
Patrick