3 Point Log Splitter Troubleshooting

/ 3 Point Log Splitter Troubleshooting #1  

TORQUIN

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830
I bought a log splitter for the 3-point and find that it seams weak. I say weak because the wedge gets stuck in hard logs. I figure the logs are some kind of Oak, but I am not sure. My tractor is a Kubota L3830. The splitter has an old John Deere cylinder on it, but I don't know much about the specs other than the rod size. The rod is 1.5" in diameter and the cylinder O.D. is 3.75". I'm told it is a JD cylinder due to the stop valve built in the end of the cylinder. I have it plumbed in by way of quick connects, to the same lines I use to run the back hoe, so I figure I should have enough flow.
I am wondering if I need to change the cylinder out or do other troubleshooting.
Advice on this will be appreciated. I can take measurements or pictures if they will help.

Thanks,
Chris

/ 3 Point Log Splitter Troubleshooting #2  
I think most 3pt splitters use a 4" bore, which gets you 15 tons at 2350 psi hydraulic pressure.

A 3" bore is just a little more than half of that at 8 tons of force, which is a lot less. 4" cylinder are availble at tsc for about 160.

Chris

/ 3 Point Log Splitter Troubleshooting #3  
Doing the math on THIS calculator-assuming 2500 PSI and a 3.5" bore, it looks like you have about a 12 ton splitter.

You may be asking a little much of it...

/ 3 Point Log Splitter Troubleshooting
I'm gonna take a picture of this mess. I didn't think the logs were that big.

And sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I thought the site would notify me when there was a reply to this thread, but I have not seen any emails. I need to check my options to make sure it knows to notify me.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Chris

/ 3 Point Log Splitter Troubleshooting #6