Wood Splitter hydraulic problems.

/ Wood Splitter hydraulic problems. #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
My dad's Huskee (TSC) wood splitter started acting up today. It did not have much power and would barely split some 12" Maple (with no knots). I have the exact same splitter & have no problems. Mine is one year newer.

His spltter revs up nicely, but unlike mine, it didn't seem to "kick down" when we got into some big pieces. It just stopped at the piece of wood. When we had just about given up & tried one more piece of wood, the hydraulic coupling gave out.

Obviously, we now need to get a coupling. To me, what doesn't make sense is the fact that the pump now seems like a "one-stage" pump & that too much torque was required of the coupling & caused it to snap.

Should I be researching a new pump too? Maybe an upgrade to 16GPM?

/ Wood Splitter hydraulic problems. #2  
The only time I have had a coupling break was when the pump locked up.

It sounds like the pump was only working on one stage and the the second stage locked up.

Can you turn the pump over by hand?

Check the suction strainer if there is one, maybe the pump was cavitating.

To go to a higher volume pump you will need more horsepower.

Tom

/ Wood Splitter hydraulic problems.
Thanks.

I'm not sure if the pump can be turned. By the time we had problems, it was time to quit for the day. We'll check it out. My Brother in law has a new 16 GPM pump that we're going to try before we buy a new replacement.

/ Wood Splitter hydraulic problems. #4  
All the filters clean and not clogged up? Fluid level topped off? Do you have a soft rubber hose on the low pressure side that might be collapsing if it gets too hot or just plain old?

/ Wood Splitter hydraulic problems. #5  
Pump is bad. Almost guaranteed, real common on these units. The pumps are also proprietary. The fitting to the suction line is pressed in. You can't buy another pump and put this fitting in it. You need to get the correct pump. Don't mess around with a larger pump. You think you have problems now?

*edit. I have seen a suction line bad that would cause the same thing. You might want to try that first