360 long

/ 360 long #1  

ard

I am the new owner of a 1979 Long 360 with erratic power steering, meaning sometimes it works. The system makes no sence to me, thought I would ask for advice from someone familiar with the system before doing exploritory surgery.There is a steering assist cylinder hooked directly to the steering linkage, with a hydralic hose at either end, like any normal cylinder. Except on this application one hose on the cylinder comes directly from the pump to the cylinder, the other hose from the other end of the cylinder goes back to the P/S resevior,....that's on the suction side of the pump....does that mean it sucks the hydralic ram in the opposite direction instead of pushing it ???? that would seem to me there's allways pressure on one side and allways suction on the other side of the cylinder, I should be doing circles ...and this system is in a loop .....resevior to pump.....pump to end of cylinder....other end of cylinder to resevior ....resevior to pump ????? HOW does it sence what to do when operating correctly. IT IS NOT ran through the steering box or sector as a copy of a service manual, that I aquired from the person I purchased it from. And there are breif times that... IT DOES ...have power steering, even though it defies logic to me. HELP and THANKS

/ 360 long #2  
I am the new owner of a 1979 Long 360 with erratic power steering, meaning sometimes it works. The system makes no sence to me, thought I would ask for advice from someone familiar with the system before doing exploritory surgery.There is a steering assist cylinder hooked directly to the steering linkage, with a hydralic hose at either end, like any normal cylinder. Except on this application one hose on the cylinder comes directly from the pump to the cylinder, the other hose from the other end of the cylinder goes back to the P/S resevior,....that's on the suction side of the pump....does that mean it sucks the hydralic ram in the opposite direction instead of pushing it ???? that would seem to me there's allways pressure on one side and allways suction on the other side of the cylinder, I should be doing circles ...and this system is in a loop .....resevior to pump.....pump to end of cylinder....other end of cylinder to resevior ....resevior to pump ????? HOW does it sence what to do when operating correctly. IT IS NOT ran through the steering box or sector as a copy of a service manual, that I aquired from the person I purchased it from. And there are breif times that... IT DOES ...have power steering, even though it defies logic to me. HELP and THANKS

There is constant pressure going to the cyl the internal valve hooked on the arm out of steering controls flow left and right. long used 2 types of cyls and they are rebuildable the early type is a little more difficult to rebuild.
There is also a filter in the PS pump reservoir