Novice Needs Method to Desribe Grapple Install to Dealer

/ Novice Needs Method to Desribe Grapple Install to Dealer #1  

redstatedog

Hello Kennyd,

Thanks for your suggestion for me to post my question in the appropriate place and manner as follows. Also, I will attempt to include a photo that shows what I was describing:

Kennyd,

I need your help please! (I apologize in advance to any of my fellow TBNrs if this is the wrong place for my attempt to reach Kennyd but I did not know of a better alternative).

I am not well versed in hydraulics so I will do my best to explain my dilemma.

I have learned a great deal from your expertise because of your excellent posts. Because of you, I purchased a Markham grapple just like yours. I own a JD 4100. I dropped my tractor off at my local Deere dealer for a quote to install the "plumbing" necessary for me to operate my grapple. My challenge is that I want to be able to adequatley explain exactly how I want the mechanic to do the work that will give me the most flexibility and function from my new grapple (and any other attachment that may be open to me in light of this new install).

As part of his initial review of my project and in an effort to provide me with a quote, he showed me a lever/valve (nearly, if not totally indenticle to what you see on a log spliter) to be installed on the right fender after removing the handle from the fender to accomodate it. He plans on "tapping" into the lines that I have at the rear of the tractor...the couplings are on a bracket which are attached to the ROPS (this picture has been shown on many other posts) and run then to valves which he said he would mount on the front right engine panel (I don't know why he would do this instead of mounting it on the arm of the FEL forks as I have seen in all the TBN threads; more versatility?)

This technique I assume would require me to remove my hand from the joystick and then operate the seperate newly installed lever (like on a wood splitter) to open and close the grapple. I want to be able to do EVERYTHING from my joystick. Based on what I have read on TBN, I think this requires an electric component that slips over my joystick and contains a toggle switch. In some of your pictures I see your regular joystick, like mine. In other pictures I see a "curved", wider handle, with skin color buttons on it. As I see different and/or conflicting pictures, I am not exactly sure how you are set up for operating your grapple.

I will visit the Deere dealer Monday morning to review my project with the mechanic. I bought myself a few days before he commenced work and I ended up with something that I may not be happy with.

My question is: Could you please post some elementary directions regarding parts needed and instructions on how to install same so I can share them with the mechanic so I can successfully convey to him exactly what I am looking for in terms of my final result?! I would be most appreciatvie. Perhaps it is just a matter for you to copy and past into a new message from your older messages, the essential directions and pics that I need without the confusion of multiple former and possibly conflicting threads that may be confusing me as they relate to different projects.

I hope this request is clear enough! As I know it won't be cheap, I want to get this install right the first time!!

Thank you in advance.
Kennyd,

I need your help please! (I apologize in advance to any of my fellow TBNrs if this is the wrong place for my attempt to reach Kennyd but I did not know of a better alternative).

I have learned a great deal from your expertise because of your excellent posts. Because of you, I purchased a Markham grapple just like yours. I own a JD 4100. I dropped my tractor off at my local Deere dealer for a quote to install the "plumbing" necessary for me to operate my grapple. My challenge is that I want to be able to adequatley explain exactly how I want the mechanic to do the work that will give me the most flexibility and function from my new grapple (and any other attachment that may be open to me in light of this new install).

As part of his initial review of my project and in an effort to provide me with a quote, he showed me a lever/valve (nearly, if not totally indenticle to what you see on a log spliter) to be installed on the right fender after removing the handle from the fender to accomodate it. He plans on "tapping" into the lines that I have at the rear of the tractor...the couplings are on a bracket which are attached to the ROPS (this picture has been shown on many other posts) and run then to valves which he said he would mount on the front right engine panel (I don't know why he would do this instead of mounting it on the arm of the FEL forks as I have seen in all the TBN threads; more versatility?)

This technique I assume would require me to remove my hand from the joystick and then operate the seperate newly installed lever (like on a wood splitter) to open and close the grapple. I want to be able to do EVERYTHING from my joystick. Based on what I have read on TBN, I think this requires an electric component that slips over my joystick and contains a toggle switch. In some of your pictures I see your regular joystick, like mine. In other pictures I see a "curved", wider handle, with skin color buttons on it. As I see different and/or conflicting pictures, I am not exactly sure how you are set up for operating your grapple.

I will visit the Deere dealer Monday morning to review my project with the mechanic. I bought myself a few days before he commenced work and I ended up with something that I may not be happy with.

My question is: Could you please post some elementary directions regarding parts needed and instructions on how to install same so I can share them with the mechanic so I can successfully convey to him exactly what I am looking for in terms of my final result?! I would be most appreciatvie. Perhaps it is just a matter for you to copy and past into a new message from your older messages, the essential directions and pics that I need without the confusion of multiple former and possibly conflicting threads that may be confusing me as they relate to different projects.

I hope this request is clear enough! As I know it won't be cheap, I want to get this install right the first time!!

Thank you in advance.
Kennyd,

Thank you in advance.

Kennyd,

Thank you in advance.
Sell Hydraulic Lever.jpg

/ Novice Needs Method to Desribe Grapple Install to Dealer #2  
Why chance an error in communication. Let the mechanic install the system. Not knowing anything about hydraulics, what are you going to convey to him? I think the only thing you will do is cause the mechanic to resent your proposal and take away from an otherwise professional installation.

Just my thoughts. I really doubt telling him FOUR times will improve the situation either. :confused:

/ Novice Needs Method to Desribe Grapple Install to Dealer #3  
If you want to flip a switch so that you can use the curl/dump to open/close the grapple you want a electric over hydraulic diverter valve, if you want a switch that you flip one way to open the grapple and the other way to close it (independent of the loader controls) you want a electric over hydraulic selector valve installed as another remote.
for more information search for "grapple" in this forum, you will find hundreds of threads debating the best way to do this.

here are two that I liked when I did a quick search:
Remotes for Grapple Use
WR Long valve or diverter

Aaron Z

/ Novice Needs Method to Desribe Grapple Install to Dealer #4  
I replied to your other post...it's less jumbled up.