Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #1  

LanceH

Silver Member
Hi there everyone. Hope everyone is safe and sound tonight. The lovely Ohio weather has me cooped up inside due to a tornado warning and funnel cloud spottings. Anyway, I've built the frame of my new log splitter and am in the process of 'ebaying' a Haldex Barnes 11GPM 2 stage pump. My questions are as follows:
1. Is it better to put a filiter on the suction side or return side?
2. What size inlet/outlet ports?
3. Should i buy an 'in tank' suction line strainer?
4. Is it a good idea to put a pressure gauge in the system?
5. If so, where?

Northern Tools website and my local Tractor Supply has filters on the return line. But I thought you wanted to protect the system before the dirt went thru. I was thinking of putting my 'in tank' strainer on the suction side, and the filter head on the return side.

Any pictures or detailed explanations are much appreciated.

I'll now try to add 3 pictures of my progress.

FYI-Anyone trying to bolt a pump mount onto a 5.5HP Honda GX160 engine should go to their local hardware store and buy 4 (four) M8 bolts that are one inch long. I dont know how the metric system works, but my Ace hardware had them in up in the bins. They were $0.09 cents each and 45 cents sure beats buying the 'kit' from Northern Tool for $4.00.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 13,590
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 6,219
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 3,676
   / Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #2  
Tank screen is a good idea.
Placing the tank pickup (suction to pump) above the bottom of the tank also good idea as that way the pump suction cannot ingest sediment.
Filter would go on low pressure or suction (between pump and tank).
A 'breather' on tank with filtering to keep out bugs etc also good idea.

An inline filter on pressure side is rare and not pratical due to the high pressures.

Good luck!

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #3  
Filter on the low pressure side prior to pump, on my backhoe I mounted it right off of the tank. Definately need breather on tank.

I ran 3/4 to the pump from the tank, 1/2 should work for all other.

I had a strainer in the tank where which the outlet hose then fitted into.

I ran a guage on my old back hoe, I mounted right off of the valve body, trying to remeber where exactly, I think there was a fitting on the valve body.

You could always T fit it on the hose going out of the valve body to the piston, you'll get pressure reading there.

Looks good,
Joel

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #4  
I think you can put a strainer on the suction side but I think the filters have to be on the tank return from the valve.. I think filters will have too much restriction for the suction side. Unless the whole system is specifically designed for that.

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions
Thanks. That did some clearing up. I incorrectly assumed the suction side was the high pressure. Wouldn't the return line that comes from the valve to the tank be low pressure, just like the suction side from the tank to the hyd pump? Sorry, I'm obviously new to hydraulic systems like this.:confused:

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #6  
1. Is it better to put a filiter on the suction side or return side?
2. What size inlet/outlet ports?
3. Should i buy an 'in tank' suction line strainer?
4. Is it a good idea to put a pressure gauge in the system?
5. If so, where?
1. You can put the filter on the return or suction side. The reason you see them on the return is because you can use a smaller filter housing on the return than on the suction side. They are normally rated for both with the suction rating being about 1/3 the return rating.
2. At 11 GPM 3/4" or 1" would be fine for tank ports, but you will need to go bigger to add the suction strainer.
3. I would if you are going with a return filter, if you use a suction filter then no need.
4. Unless you are going to adjust the pressure relief on you valve a gauge is just a nice to look at kinda thing.
5.You can install it with a tee on the pressure line from pump to valve. It will only show pressure when the cyl is doing work.
Hope some of that helps.
Frank

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #7  
And yes both the suction and return are low pressure
Also nice work on the splitter, gota build me one, one of these days
Frank

Frank,
thanks for the valuable info. I appreciate your input.

-Lance

And yes both the suction and return are low pressure
Also nice work on the splitter, gota build me one, one of these days
Frank

Frank-I've finished that splitter up and am now starting on a new, diesel powered splitter. I'm still thinking about putting a gauge in the system and it sounds like it can be on the cylinder line coming in from the pump or on the line from the valve to the back end of the cylinder. My question is related to the definition of "LOW PRESSURE"...if low pressure on the supply side is between the tank and pump, then where does it transition from high pressure to low on the return side? When it leaves the valve body or somewhere around the return line filter?

I just want to know where I need to run my 'return line hose' which is slightly larger diameter than the remaining 3/4" high pressure lines.

Also specs on new splitter:
10hp china clone diesel engine
5x24x2.25 cylinder
prince valve w/3/4" ports (all 4)
16gpm 2 stage pump

Thanks again.

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Filter, Gauge Questions #10  
Your gage should go in a tee at the P/input to the valve.