Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what

/ Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what #1  

mike194

Silver Member
Tractor
AGCO ST30X
I was able to get the lift cylinder off the loader and was able to get the big nut off the end with out having the correct spanner wrench, now i am inside and it looks like i have to get a round snap ring out before i can get to the guts of the cylinder. it looks very difficult to get this ring out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it.

/ Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what #2  
Can you get a picture?

/ Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what
Well i put the lift cylinder back on the tractor, it is not leaking too bad. I would still like to put a seal kit in it. I have attached the parts diagram. but once i get the nut off the end of the cylinder all i can see is threads and holding those threads in is a round snap ring that is being used as an internal snap ring with no way to get a snap ring pliers on it.

Attachments

• cylinder.JPG
    cylinder.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 276
   / Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what #4  
Mike, I have used harbor frieght needle nose pliers with pipe extensions on the handles in several cases.

/ Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what #5  
Well i put the lift cylinder back on the tractor, it is not leaking too bad. I would still like to put a seal kit in it. I have attached the parts diagram. but once i get the nut off the end of the cylinder all i can see is threads and holding those threads in is a round snap ring that is being used as an internal snap ring with no way to get a snap ring pliers on it.

I would use of light screwdriver to try and prises out and grab the with a needle nose pliers trying not to strain it is not very clear and your diagram is the snap ring number nine on the diagram I seemed something similar on universal joint but they usually have a piece that you can get a screwdriver into not sure about that one

/ Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what #6  
picture of number 9 snap ring shows an external snap ring. you may have another part covering the ring that has to be moved first.

/ Trying to rebuild a loader cyclinder now what #7  
Hi,if this is the style I think it is,here's what you do,,,take off both hoses.don't take it off machine.no need for that.put a short lenght of hose(use what fits..5/8" heater hose) on the adapter you took the hydraulic hose off,put the end of the hose in a drain container.push/ pull the rod to drain the oil out of that end,swap ends with your short piece of hose and drain the other end of the cylinder.now take the gland nut off.put the cylinder rod about midway of it's stroke.under the gland nut if the cylinder has never been repaired you'll find an orange colored plastic band.take that out.push the gland into the barrel about 2 or 3 inches.now you will see a round snap ring.with a screw driver push one end of it into the barrel.now put the end of the screwdriver in the groove in the barrel to keep the snap ring from seating back and grab the snap ring with a hook.I use a cotter pin removal tool.pull the snap rin out.remember that orange plastic band.put that in the groove you took the snap ring out of.yes it's a tool supplied by deere.it keeps the o-ring on the gland from getting stuck in the barrel groove.now make sure you support the barrel so it does'nt fall in the dirt.pull the rod like a slide hammer and take the whole thing out of the barrel.remove the piston nut and repack.make sure you clean the threads on the rod and loctite the nut so it does'nt come off!