PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #1  

benkapitanec

I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT HYDRAULICS, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN EXPECT AS FAR AS PERFORMANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING COMPONENT. I HAVE MOST OF WHAT I NEED TO COMPLETE MY BUILD OF A LOG SPLITTER. I'D LIKE TO USE MY TRACTOR AS MY POWER SOURCE. THE TRACTOR IS A MITSUBISHI MD180HD RATED AT 18HP AND I BELIEVE 12HP AT THE PTO. MY HYDRAULIC CYLINDER HAS A BORE OF 6.75IN. AND A ROD DIAMETER OF 3IN. STROKE IS ABOUT 30IN., THOUGH I DON'T THINK I'LL BE USING ALL THAT. I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT THE PRINCE 3.6CU.IN. PTO PUMP AS THE PUMP OF CHOICE. IS THIS A GOOD MATCH OR WILL I BE DISAPPOINTED. WITH A CYLINDER BORE OF 6.75IN I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GENERATE SOME RESPECTABLE TONNAGE PRESSURE, I'M JUST NOT SURE HOW TO ACOMPLISH THAT AND STILL HAVE DECENT CYCLE TIME.
BEN

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #2  
I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT HYDRAULICS, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I CAN EXPECT AS FAR AS PERFORMANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING COMPONENT. I HAVE MOST OF WHAT I NEED TO COMPLETE MY BUILD OF A LOG SPLITTER. I'D LIKE TO USE MY TRACTOR AS MY POWER SOURCE. THE TRACTOR IS A MITSUBISHI MD180HD RATED AT 18HP AND I BELIEVE 12HP AT THE PTO. MY HYDRAULIC CYLINDER HAS A BORE OF 6.75IN. AND A ROD DIAMETER OF 3IN. STROKE IS ABOUT 30IN., THOUGH I DON'T THINK I'LL BE USING ALL THAT. I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT THE PRINCE 3.6CU.IN. PTO PUMP AS THE PUMP OF CHOICE. IS THIS A GOOD MATCH OR WILL I BE DISAPPOINTED. WITH A CYLINDER BORE OF 6.75IN I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GENERATE SOME RESPECTABLE TONNAGE PRESSURE, I'M JUST NOT SURE HOW TO ACOMPLISH THAT AND STILL HAVE DECENT CYCLE TIME.
BEN

Your cylinder will push at .8 in per sec. Retraction will be 1 in per sec. One full minute to retract, and more than a minute to extend. That is at a pressure of 2250. That is kind of slow, but will have the power. You really have no other option, other than using a gas engine with a larger pump, or finding a smaller cylinder.

This was figured at a PTO rpm or 540, but if you have 1000 rpm PTO, the results are better.

That is one monster cyl, where did you come across that one.

Push force=80,516 lbs
pull forxe =64,611 lbs

WOW

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #3  
Ben, First-PLEASE STOP YELLING AT US:D, Typing in all capital letters is considered YELLING on the forums and it very hard to read.

Look at these two calculators:

Surplus Center (on the left)

Baum Hydraulics

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #4  
Ben,

You are at your limit as far as using the Prince PTO pump.

I believe it would be cheaper for you in the long run to obtain or purchase a smaller cylinder, a 4 in bore X 24 in stroke.

A 4 x 24 cylinder at 2250 psi will have

push force of = 28,274
pull force of = 21,206

push/extension speed= 2.2 in per sec
pull/retract speed of = 2.9 in per sec.

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE
Sorry for the caps..........The same cylinder can be had on ebay, several were being sold, I bought this one new for $400, just last week. You confirmed what I suspected...I just may keep an eye out for a motor to run this unit. What HP and pump size would you all recommend? Any preferences to motor configuration, horizontal v/s vertical shaft?
Ben

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #6  
Sorry for the caps..........The same cylinder can be had on ebay, several were being sold, I bought this one new for $400, just last week. You confirmed what I suspected...I just may keep an eye out for a motor to run this unit. What HP and pump size would you all recommend? Any preferences to motor configuration, horizontal v/s vertical shaft?
Ben

You will have to use a 16 Hp engine to run a 2 stage pump at 28 GPM's.

Push speed will be 3 in per sec
pull speed will be 3.8 in per sec.

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #7  
Just some real-world info for comparison.

I have a splitter with a 4x24" cylinder, a 16 GPM 2-stage pump, and an
8 HP engine.

Extend time is about 7 seconds, retract about 5.5. Definitely go
for a smaller cylinder. This splitter goes through everything that
I can put on it. It has split some really knarly crotches w/o
complaint.

The calculations that I ran before putting this pump on (the pump that
came on it was a lower GPM pump) said it should extend if 5 seconds,
so you'll probably want to add like 25% to your time calculations.

I have a Kubota B7100 that has 16HP engine/12HP PTO. I was
looking at tractor-powerd 3PH splitters, but my hydraulic pump only
provides 3.3GPM @ 1700 PSI. That wasn't going to give good
performance. Then, I started looking at PTO pumps. All PTO pumps out there are single stage. An 8 GPM pump would have been the best I could do. That would have given me a 15 second extend, 25 second full cycle (extend and retract). That was too slow.

For info on what a two stage pump is, look here:
Hydraulics

Q: What is the difference between a one-stage pump and a two-stage pump?

A: A one-stage, or single-stage, pump has only one maximum pressure and one flow rate. Single-stage pumps are typically attached to the crankshaft or PTO shaft on a farm tractor or large industrial engine. Applications for a single stage pump include backhoes and manure loaders.

Two-stage pumps are typically mounted to small gas or diesel engines. A two-stage pump will first produce high volumes of fluid, moving the cylinder in and out quickly. When the pump receives resistance, a second set of gears will produce high pressures for lifting or splitting. However, the volume of fluid will drop considerably during this stage.

This mechanism has many practical applications. For example, in log splitters equipped with a two-stage pump, in stage one, the rod travels faster up the cradle until the rod starts to split the wood. At that point, the speed slows but the force increases.

So, I looked into getting a gearbox to increase 540 or 850 RPM (the two speeds of my PTO) to 3600 to drive a normal two-stage pump. These gearboxes start around $300 (as do the PTO pumps). With 12 PTO HP available, I could drive a 22 or 28 GPM pump (which are also around $300-$400), so i would have been looking about $600-$700 just for a pump and gear box. Then, I'd still need a tank and valve.

I ended up just buying a used 24 ton splitter for $700. It has an 8HP engine, and had an 11 GPM pump (which I upgraded to a 16 GPM pump from Surplus Center for $140).

Now that I'm using it, I am glad that I don't have a tractor-powered splitter, as I use the tractor to move the firewood to and from the splitter, and would need to unhook the splitter each time. Also, I use a 3PH carry-all to move the finished pallets of firewood. I would be switching it on and off to put the 3PH splitter on and off.

There are a lot of threads here on TBN about stand-alone vs. tractor mounted splitters.

Last edited:
   / PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE
Makes alot of sense what you say. I'm stuck with the cylinder that I have, I did get a good deal on it and I know that it has above average tonnage for what is ordinarily used for splittting wood, all I need to do is pair this cylinder with a power supply and a pump and I can start to weld it up. I will be looking for a gas engine and a pump, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your input, J J. Anyone else out there.....I'm open for suggestions on HP and pump size that will produce a decent cycle time.

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #9  
Northern Tool has a 28 gal 2 stage pump which requires a 16 HP or greater , that will give you better cycle time. More volume, more speed.

/ PTO HYDRAULIC PUMP SIZE #10