Hydraulic oil

/ Hydraulic oil #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
I'm curious how the members of the group refill their hydraulic oil. My TC35D takes 5+ gallons! As I bought a 5 gallon bucket, I'm not about to hold it up to pour into a funnel. I bought a manual pump at TSC but that is still very messy (I fill a plastic tube but without a valve at the dispensing end I leak hydro fluid all over the place when I want to check the dipstick). Anyone have one of those fancy ALMITE air pumps. Looks nice but probably $$.

Peter

/ Hydraulic oil #2  
As part of the 50 hour maintenance, I replaced the fluid in my B7500. The fill hole is located where access is easy. I took a plastic drink bottle and cut the bottom off to make a big funnel. It was easy because of the big target............chim

/ Hydraulic oil #3  
Sit down before you check the price on an air operated pump. Something that might work is a Zee Line pump that Northern Power carries which is designed to work with the 5 gal pails with a Rieke spout. Look at the metal rim around the opening. If it has Rieke stamped on it, the pump (Northern # 109322 - $29.99 + shipping) should work fine.

Here's the URL for Nothern's site with the pump: http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=497868&prmenbr=6970

Zee Line also has a site.

/ Hydraulic oil #4  
I've also seen rotary hand pumps ( for petroleum products ) at the flea markets that also sell imported tools, etc. This weekend I say one for like 29 bucks new..(china)... but whatever works.

Soundguy

/ Hydraulic oil #5  
Please don't take this the wrong way, but is 5 gallons really that heavy? My old IH656 Hydro took a total of 20 gallons of Hy-Tran and I held each of all 4 of the 5 gln buckets up to the funnel. It's only heavy for the first minute or so until it empties out . . .

/ Hydraulic oil #6  
Anyone with a BX knows what a pain it is to add hydraulic oil. The u-shaped end on the Zee Line hand pump looks like it would work great. I just may have to get it for my upcoming oil change.

/ Hydraulic oil #7  
Kubota, at least on the L3710, didn't do owners any favors when it comes to filling the transmission and rear end. The filler plug is in an awkward position on the rear of the machine. The only funnel I have that gets you far enough away to get the clearance to let you to fill from a five gal pail has a small opening that doesn't drain fast. You have the dribble the fluid. You're not going to drain a 5 gal pail fast.

My Ford 5600 which fills from the top of the gear case is far easier. You're standing over top of the funnel and you have an opening big enough and enough clearance to use the biggest funnel you can find. You can probably drain a 5 gal pail as fast as you can pour.

The oil fill on the Kubota engine wasn't well thought out either.

/ Hydraulic oil #8  
I see. Yea, my IH had the filler right in the middle of the "floor boards" in front of the seat. Pretty easy to fill while standing there.

It's good to hear someone say something bad about the Kubotas! ; )

/ Hydraulic oil #9  
Save the money you would spend on gizmos and buy the oil in 2.5 gallon jugs. Not much more $ per gal, pours a lot easier, and is just about 1/2 the weight!

/ Hydraulic oil #10  
My Cub has the hydraulic oil fill right in the floor. It's really simple to pour in right out of the 5-gallon pail. It's quicker than pumping.