Hydraulic couplings - problem

/ Hydraulic couplings - problem #1  

global312

I just had the dealer install hydraulics and a 4 in 1 bucket on my tractor last week. When I went to disconnect the 4 in 1 bucket to put on the pallet forks, I noticed that one of the quick connects was installed on the hydraulic line for the bucket while the other stayed with the tractor. Shouldn't both quick connects stay with the tractor? I want to be able to swap out attachments with no problems ...grapple is next on my "wish" list. It looks simple enough to take the fittings off and swap them, but it was the dealers responsibility to get it right and I don't want any leaks. Can I just take these fittings off and swap them? Will I lose hydraulic fluid if I do this? I also don't know if these lines would still have pressure on them, and don't want to risk anything, as I don't know enough about hydraulics. I'm thinking I should just call the dealer and tell them the situation. What would you do?

/ Hydraulic couplings - problem
I may have figured this coupler situation out. I just read a post that said this is sometimes done .... attaching one hydraulic coupler on the line of the attachment to connect to the other line to keep the connectors clean while they are not hooked up on the tractor...is this the way it is commonly done? If I order a grapple do I need to request the hydraulic lines to be set up this way?

/ Hydraulic couplings - problem #3  
It is very common on skid-steers, it also keeps you from hooking it up backwards.

Thanks for the info. kennyd. I just got a quote of for the LD 48" grapple from Markham Welding, which I see you have ... How do you like it? I will be using it with a NH TC 33. Any info. on the grapple would be helpful. Did you make any modifications to the grapple (extra tines etc.) or would you suggest anything that would make it better. Thanks.

/ Hydraulic couplings - problem #5  
Unfortunately, I have used the grapple very little so far due to the weather this spring and lack of time. I did not get the extra spacers because I wanted it as light as possible for my tractor-but did get the JDQA setup they offer. I also sourced my hoses and couplers locally to ensure a custom fit rather than use the stock length they will give you.

It is VERY well built and I have no doubt it will work great for you-do you have a QA setup on your loader?

/ Hydraulic couplings - problem #6  
I may have figured this coupler situation out. I just read a post that said this is sometimes done .... attaching one hydraulic coupler on the line of the attachment to connect to the other line to keep the connectors clean while they are not hooked up on the tractor...is this the way it is commonly done? If I order a grapple do I need to request the hydraulic lines to be set up this way?

It also allows you , when hooking the implement lines together , when off the tractor , to equalize the fluid expansion due to hot and cold. The only real disadvantage is that the female couplers cost more and now you have one on every attachment. That said when I get around to it I will convert my front attachments to that method. They are always under pressure when I go to hook them up and I have to depressurize them. Not that big a deal either though. I have been using plastic end caps but they sort of fall off after a while. I think a male and female would work better.

I do have the QA on my loader. Being new to hydraulics, I want to learn as much as I can so I don't cause any damage. Some other questions I have:

1. Do you cover the couplings/ fittings left on the tractor when you disconnect and aren't being used to prevent dirt from contaminating?

2. Do you add any protective cover to the hydraulic lines of the attachment from preventing damage to them? They look like they are vulnerable to damage just loose with nothing sheilding them.

3. When disconnecting the lines, I notice that some hydraulic fluid is lost How much is lost and should I be adding some when I reconnect?

/ Hydraulic couplings - problem #8  
I do have the QA on my loader. Being new to hydraulics, I want to learn as much as I can so I don't cause any damage. Some other questions I have:

1. Do you cover the couplings/ fittings left on the tractor when you disconnect and aren't being used to prevent dirt from contaminating?

2. Do you add any protective cover to the hydraulic lines of the attachment from preventing damage to them? They look like they are vulnerable to damage just loose with nothing sheilding them.

3. When disconnecting the lines, I notice that some hydraulic fluid is lost How much is lost and should I be adding some when I reconnect?

1-Yes, with plugs made for this purpose
2-Yes, I use nylon sleeving to cover the hose to protect against abrasion.
3-You loose a few drops, nothing to worry about.