JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder #1  

ttkeeler

Bronze Member
I would like to add a simple valve to control the side to side slide cylinder on my rear mounted flail mower. I have been using half of the FEL joystick by disconnecting two of its hoses just forward of the clutch pedal and temporarily using two hoses to the rear. Which of course disables half of my FEL at the same time. Plumbing into the Power Beyond with a new valve sounds like the best route but isn't clear to me exactly how to do. I could also use this for other applications at the rear if I can just get it plumbed in correctly. I am pretty new at hydraulics so bear with me.

Anyone got any good pictures or diagrams of what the FEL valve looks like (how it plumbs) and how the PB connects into the system?

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder #2  
I just searched on JDParts for some info, but could not find anything useful to tell you...there is ports for the PB because the is/was a backhoe available for your machine...

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder
I just searched on JDParts for some info, but could not find anything useful to tell you...there is ports for the PB because the is/was a backhoe available for your machine...

I tried the same thing with no luck.

With the backhoe removed, I obvisouly can't use the backhoe and rear flail mower at the same time anyway, can I not somehow use the quick connect ports for it to run another control valve? When I need to put the backhoe back on I could just swap the quick connects. It would seem like that would work or not?

If that would work any suggestions on a good reasonably priced valve?

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder #4  
OK, so you already have the PB connections? If so I mis-understood your first post.

Yes, you can absolutely get a new open-center valve, and hook it up with QD's just like your backhoe does.

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder #5  
If that would work any suggestions on a good reasonably priced valve?

Opps...missed this in the first reply...

Surplus Center has some great deals on valvec, can you tell me how may spools you want and what the GPM rating for your machine is?

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder
OK, so you already have the PB connections? If so I mis-understood your first post.

Yes, you can absolutely get a new open-center valve, and hook it up with QD's just like your backhoe does.

I was reading in another thread about the 3PH being 'inactive' with the Power Beyond? So will I have any problem with the 3PH raising and lowering if I connect to the PB ports? Maybe I was just reading the post wrong.

Opps...missed this in the first reply...

Surplus Center has some great deals on valvec, can you tell me how may spools you want and what the GPM rating for your machine is?

The specs say 8.7 gallons per minute of flow. I don't know how many 'spools' I need. Does that have anything to do with how many directions or cylinders are being controlled?

I was reading in another thread about the 3PH being 'inactive' with the Power Beyond? So will I have any problem with the 3PH raising and lowering if I connect to the PB ports? Maybe I was just reading the post wrong.

Now my next question is going to be what size of lines should I run to and from this valve? The PB lines that connect to the backhoe look to be 1/2". I assume that an 'open center' valve means that it has thru flow anytime it is in the center position so I should run 1/2" supply and return lines? My FEL has all 3/8" lines and I have been running 1/4" lines to the flail side to side slide cylinder.

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder #9  

You should be fine. Your 3PH works when you couple the hoses back together right? All you are doing is inserting the valve into that "loop"

Some setups do disable the 3PH by hooking the return hose to a different fitting.

/ JD 970 Power Beyond Plumbing...want to add valve for flail mower side slide cylinder #10  
Now my next question is going to be what size of lines should I run to and from this valve? The PB lines that connect to the backhoe look to be 1/2". I assume that an 'open center' valve means that it has thru flow anytime it is in the center position so I should run 1/2" supply and return lines? My FEL has all 3/8" lines and I have been running 1/4" lines to the flail side to side slide cylinder.

You should match your PB lines for the IN and OUT ports since these line have continuous flow whenever the tractor is running. 1/4" for the flail is fine. Yes, open center means what you said;)