Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
I just got a Lazer Z with a Kohler 23 HP engine, and it has 2 independent hydro units with a central resvoir for the zero turn feature. On the central resivoir tank it says to use Mobil 10-30. Do you think it would be OK to use a Kubota or other brand UDT fluid instead when I swap it out?

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #2  
On both my ZTR's (Toro Z-master and a Simplicity) it says to use "Mobil 1", which is a synthetic fluid. I use the Kubota UDT in my M5400. I don't think it's a synthetic fluid, someone please correct me If I'm wrong. Which means it won't stand up to the higher heat. I would go back and look at the label a little closer, and read the owners manual, to make sure it doesn't say "Mobil 1".

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #3  
I use Mobil-One in my Dixie Choppers. They switched over from the 10W-30 engine oil they were using before. Did not notice any change, nor would I expect to. I am thinking this oil compatibility thing is a myth. You could probably trade out five different version of fluid, that is used for hydraulics and they all would work. Look at just plain water. There are probably 1000 different brands of water, but it is still water. Some taste different than others.

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #4  
I just got a Lazer Z with a Kohler 23 HP engine, and it has 2 independent hydro units with a central resvoir for the zero turn feature. On the central resivoir tank it says to use Mobil 10-30. Do you think it would be OK to use a Kubota or other brand UDT fluid instead when I swap it out?

If your fluid is working for you, why would you want to change it. You probably will not get anything better than what you have. If it is contaminated, then change it out and replace it with Mobile-One. 10W-30, OR 10W-40 If you change out the filters on a regular basics, you could leave that fluid in there for years.

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question
JJ, when I purchased it the dealer said they typically replace it with another type of oil at the first change, then leave it in. His reason was he claimed the mobil 1 didn't not hold up as well as it used to in high heat. This would be typical in my case as its an air cooled unit behind the drivers seat. The dealer was one of three I visited, he sold allot of various ZTR's and very large Case farm equipment, he seemed very sincere compared to the others.
I could only imagine the difference would be the newer API codes for emissions would be more additives (zinc, coal tar, etc). I am not sure if UDT oil has to meet any of those API codes since it is used only for hydraulics and not in the crankcase, so I believe the additives would be less, therefore more oil and longer life. Besides I have allot of UDT around for my BX23 and it would just make it easier.

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #6  
Tollster,

I would not change out anything until after the warranty is up. I would however call the company and talk to the engineers about the types of hyd fluids that are acceptable. I have been using Mobile 1 for about 10 years on some of the units.

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #7  
Tollster-
I have a 23hp Laser Exmark 48" ZTR and have been using the Mobil 1 in the hydraulics since I bought it three seasons ago. It runs fine - I would check owners manual and use what they recommend. - Mike

/ Exmark ZTR Hydraulic question #8  
I would not risk using something other than what they recommend in a Z-turn hyd system. IIRC Z-turn hydraulics run hotter than "normal" tractor ones do, thus the synthetic requirement.

Mobil 1 is cheap compared to wheel motors and/or pumps.

Aaron Z