OSHA FEL rules?

/ OSHA FEL rules? #1  

Dale in MI

Tractor
Not Running: Oliver 550 & 770, Farmall A & Super M
A dealer just told me that the Bush Hog M546 FEL looses pressure and drops
the bucket and arms because that is the OSHA requirement. Is that BS?

/ OSHA FEL rules? #2  

Sounds like BS to me...however most all small loaders do settle a bit-and most major manufactures have a published spec on how much is acceptable.

/ OSHA FEL rules? #3  

Tell him to show it to you in print. Ask him for the OSHA CFR #. Ask him if he knows of the farm equipment exemption. Ask him if he provides OSHA mandated operator safety training for non-farm use equipment if you have over ? # of employees, I forget the exact #. Your dealer sounds like a shyster. Call him on it and watch him wiggle.
Actually, I forget the OSHA CFR # but I know it is in section 1029 of the powered industrial equipment section, but any powered equipment is to have no stored energy when the operator is more than 10 feet from it, running or not. Meaning, everything must be resting on the ground when you leave it.
Andy

/ OSHA FEL rules? #4  
I have noticed the large mobile cranes at work sites suspend large trailer mounted welders or other heavy equipment. used to think to keep from being stolen. then decided it was a way to keep boom from moving in the wind. any one know the reason.
OSHA = Goverment laws = need to make laws to keep hired in-laws something to do.
ken

/ OSHA FEL rules? #5  
Ken - You're right, its to keep the equipment from being stolen. No other reason. Suspended weight will only offset the center of gravity and make a crane more unstable in high winds. Safest position is in a travel position. Suspended weight is a OSHA offense. Would likey be a liability if the drum brake fails too.

/ OSHA FEL rules? #6  
Tell him to show it to you in print. Ask him for the OSHA CFR #. Ask him if he knows of the farm equipment exemption. Ask him if he provides OSHA mandated operator safety training for non-farm use equipment if you have over ? # of employees, I forget the exact #. Your dealer sounds like a shyster. Call him on it and watch him wiggle.
Actually, I forget the OSHA CFR # but I know it is in section 1029 of the powered industrial equipment section, but any powered equipment is to have no stored energy when the operator is more than 10 feet from it, running or not. Meaning, everything must be resting on the ground when you leave it.
Andy

I don't lower the BH bucket to the ground is that a violation? ;)

/ OSHA FEL rules? #7  

If you are a private citizen, no.

Oh, and since when an "Occupational" safety/rules agency cover a private citizen? Last I knew, occupational would mean workplace.

/ OSHA FEL rules? #8  

I am not sure about the BX23 but the BX24 have pins you should install when not in use. therefore its the same as lowering to ground. Its basically resting on the pins.

/ OSHA FEL rules? #9  
I am not sure about the BX23 but the BX24 have pins you should install when not in use. therefore its the same as lowering to ground. Its basically resting on the pins.

The 23 has vertical and horizontal pins to lock it...I keep mine in place any time I'm not using it..Don't want that swinging around if something would fail.

The MMM, FEL and BH bucket leak down after extended down time..No big deal. Everyone I know who has anything like this has the same issue.

/ OSHA FEL rules? #10  
LBROWN59, I think everything you do is a violation. lol zman