log splitter detent valve

/ log splitter detent valve #1  

steviep

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 JD 4300
I have a 2002 Mtd log splitter 25 ton . My proplem is that the control valve holds good for the return stroke but does not release to neutral when it reaches the end of its return stroke. Has anyone else had this proplem , is it hard to fix the detent valve.

/ log splitter detent valve #2  
What brand is the valve? Does it have any numbers on it?

/ log splitter detent valve
I did find the name energy on it . I did go to to thier web site and they do make a valve made mostly for log splitters. It took some doing but I was able to down load thier parts diagrapm . It looks likes the detent is a one piece deal that can't be serviced, but I am going to try. The only numbers on it were 232A but nothing came up under those numbers.

/ log splitter detent valve #6  
These valves are typically cheap pos's and aren't made to be serviced. They are sooo incredibly inexpensive just get a new one and be done with it. After you take it apart, you will get a new one anyway.

/ log splitter detent valve #8  
you may want to test the pressure on your pump too just in case the wood you are splitting is splitting below the detent pressure and your pump isnt building enough to kick to neutral follow? plumbing in a pressure gauge is cheap and can help rule out things for you good luck.

/ log splitter detent valve #9  
sizzami,

The detent pressure does not come into play until you are in the return stroke.

The detent release pressure has a wide variance, why, I don't know. The pressure on the return stroke will be low pressure, around 650 psi, and at high volume, and a fast return time The only purpose of the detent is for semiautomatic mode, at the end of the stroke, just to kick the lever into neutral.

I think that new double set lever log splitter valve is a great idea, just set and forget, and have the next log ready to load. However the price on it is the kicker. about three times the standard log splitter valve.

/ log splitter detent valve #10  
low pressure from the pump is low pressure regardless of stroke I am only saying that checking the pressure is a good place to start and if debris got into the valve it had to gothrough the pump or it came from the pump no?

I put the autocycle valve on mine its great, but sometimes you have to adjust it in extreme temps. high or low.