Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
Well I suffered my second hydraulic line puncture on my Deere model 49 backhoe. This time it is to the swing cylinder and my first experience was to a stabilizer. I thought the stabilizer fittings were tedious/difficult but the swing hydraulic fittings are impossibly located and required for me to detach both swing cylinders with hoses. I am still struggling with the fittings(rubber tubing ->11/16"male -> 7/8"rotating female -> metal tubing -> slim male to block) as they are super close to another set on each cylinder. I have used fixed size open end, adjustable wrench, and a new open end set with grab lip on open end. I did bust one of the grab lip open end wrenches...not forged. So I have a couple of questions.

(1) What wrenches do you guys use for tight quarter fittings that tend to be super tight/frozen? Are you using specialty wrenches? I clearly need a slim line for the block fitting.

(2) Do you change your hydraulic lines only as needed or do you inspect and perform preemptive changes to avoid problems later?

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions #2  
I have used my tubing wrenches before, they work OK but are not thin.

I've also been known to take a wrench over to the bench grinder to 'adjust' to fit.

Sometimes you just got to cut the hose and spin it off as one piece.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions #3  
You may find "crowfeet wrenches" help. It really will depend on your machine. I worked for a manufacturer of hydraulic equipment for a few years and there were a few guys who had really modified wrenches they had made.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions #4  
About 3 years ago, I bought a full set of hydraulic fitting wrenches from Motion Industries. There are about 15 wrenches in the set. Each wrench is the same size and open end on both ends, with the two ends being at different angles. They are also thin enough to use on smaller hose assemblies. I paid about $350 for the set and the pouch. I believe it was about a $50 adder for a chrome set. That's pretty steep for a rarely used home shop item, but when you need them, they're hard to beat. I could justify them because I also do industrial maintenance.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions #5  
Try crows feet wrenches or four way angle head wrenches. Hydraulic "wrenches" is just a name given to angle head wrenches by different tool companies to justify, in my opinion, there cost of a double open end wrench with different angles on each end. Sunex and V-8 have decent price, quality angle head wrench sets. Angle head wrenches are not as common to find as Crows feet wrenches, but can be both found at a good automotive parts store.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions
Guys - Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I couldn't find any "in store" 4 angle open end wrenches locally at Napa, Ace, or Sears. However Sears had a longer open end/box combo in the sizes I needed that were a bit thinner and longer. These had better grip and length which allowed for more torque either by me or with a gentle swift hammer blow. I did find that Sears and Snap-On have online availability of a couple of wrenches that will allow for better grip on rounded nuts(almost did that) and much thinner thicknesses. I did not go the crows foot direction this time because I was not sure if I could get the torque needed. I will add these later and they(Sears) do have the lipped version that allows for reach around tubing and then slide onto the nut that will reduce round over. The Motion Industries is an interesting suggestion as they seem to provide a lot of products and services but I could not tell by their website whether this is a visit or call/ship business....will definitely followup with the company in CT.

In the end after sweating profusely..I'm doing this work in a pasture and the last fews days have been hot & humid....all work was completed. I replaced 2 hoses instead of just the one as the other, left side equivalent, seemed a bit rigid close to the fitting crimp. Fricking yellow-jacket got me when putting back together as there was a small nest in the control stick housing. No harm no foul I guess. Thanks again.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions #7  
As to troque, you do realize crowsfeet are only limited by the ratchet or pull handle you use with them? Of course you can over load any tool.

/ Hydraulic Fitting Wrenches - Need Suggestions
JJ - I did use the flare nut wrench and managed to break off the tip...that was the non-forged wrench. Bought another that appears to be a stronger version. Sears has another flare nut wrench with the lip on one side only that has a longer handle for leverage. The pivoting flare nut wrench you mentioned from Sears is one I had not seen and looks promising. Thanks again.