log splitter on backhoe

/ log splitter on backhoe #1  

oldhippy

Silver Member
Tractor
junk
I am wanting to put a log splitter on the backhoe of my terramite. They backhoe has 7GPM with 2400psi. I looked at northern tool and they sell a kit that has a 4" cylinder and the recomecded 11GPM. If I put this combination togerher what will happen? Will the cylinder be slow with enough power to split wood. The terramites used to offer a remote hyd kit for running a post hole digger on the front of loader bucket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks big dan

/ log splitter on backhoe #2  
The splitter will be a little slow...you can use this calculator (click the link on the left side of the page that says "force and speed" to figure out the numbers since you know the cylinder and tractor specs:

Surplus Center

/ log splitter on backhoe #3  
I am wanting to put a log splitter on the backhoe of my terramite. They backhoe has 7GPM with 2400psi. I looked at northern tool and they sell a kit that has a 4" cylinder and the recomecded 11GPM. If I put this combination togerher what will happen? Will the cylinder be slow with enough power to split wood. The terramites used to offer a remote hyd kit for running a post hole digger on the front of loader bucket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks big dan
Oldhippy,
I bought a 3pth. wood splitter from T.S.C. I have a Mahindra 2810 gear drive. When I hook it to My Mahindra it works real well. So far it has splitt every thing I have placed on it. It works faster than I can, but I am 68 years old.
Mrpoppy

/ log splitter on backhoe #4  
oldhippy ,

Do you have an aux hyd circuit now? If so, what kind of valve is controlling the aux flow.

If you add a 4 in cylinder with a 2 in shaft, the extend time will be 11.42 sec, and the retract time will be 8.27 sec. You will also have to hold the levers in forward and reverse, more work for you. I have seen BH's with aux outlets up by the bucket. The valve would have to be a motor spool valve to run an auger.

You should ask your self, what is my time worth, and is it cost effective.

If you were to add a PTO pump, at $509, and log splitter valve at $150, then your times would decrease.

This PTO pump has Max. output: 11.4 GPM @ 2,000 PSI & 18.1 Hp input, then your times would be 6.88 sec to extend, and 5.1 sec to retract.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009082615133980&item=9-1047-2-C&catname=hydraulic

/ log splitter on backhoe
I looked at some backhoes with log splitters in place of the bucket and it looked like a pretty good idea. I will have to run a new circuit and tie into the hyd system. The pump and hoses are under the floor boards and pretty easy to get to. I was planning on putting quick disconects up by the bucket. Could I not put a log splitter valve that would be automatic like a regular log splitter. We have a great hyd shop here that will help me with the circuits and parts.
I have one more quick question. The backhoe has a seven gallon oil tank will it keep the oil cool enough? thanks big dan

/ log splitter on backhoe #6  
I looked at some backhoes with log splitters in place of the bucket and it looked like a pretty good idea. I will have to run a new circuit and tie into the hyd system. The pump and hoses are under the floor boards and pretty easy to get to. I was planning on putting quick disconnects up by the bucket. Could I not put a log splitter valve that would be automatic like a regular log splitter. We have a great hyd shop here that will help me with the circuits and parts.
I have one more quick question. The backhoe has a seven gallon oil tank will it keep the oil cool enough? thanks big dan

It seems like everyone is down sizing to smaller tanks. One gal of tank reservoir for one gal pumped. You need an auto valve at the splitter, and a valve to supply fluid up to the bucket. If you have an aux circuit, that would work. They now make a double lever detent log splitter valve, and the valve below.

The valve below uses regen circuits to mix the fluid from the shaft side of the cylinder and the input fluid to almost double the pump GPM into the base of the cylinder, therefore faster extend time.

The Prince LSR-3060-3 log splitter valve features an extremely
fast rapid Extend high speed mode. The LSR
has been specifically designed to reduce system costs by
allowing a single stage pump to be used in systems currently
using two stage (hi-low) pumps

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/catalog/ValvesLsRd25.pdf

/ log splitter on backhoe #7  
I looked at some backhoes with log splitters in place of the bucket and it looked like a pretty good idea. I will have to run a new circuit and tie into the hyd system. The pump and hoses are under the floor boards and pretty easy to get to. I was planning on putting quick disconects up by the bucket. Could I not put a log splitter valve that would be automatic like a regular log splitter. We have a great hyd shop here that will help me with the circuits and parts.

I was curious, did you ever install the log splitter on your terramite? I also am thinking about installing a splitter on a t7 terramite in place of the backhoe bucket. My hydraulics are rated at 10 GPM at 3500 rpm and around 2500 psi. I was thinking about using the regenitive log splitter valve with the northern tool 4.5 inch log splitter kit. It would be a little slower considering the flow would be around 5 gpm since 3500 rpm is way too fast for running the backhoe.