Hydraulic Connections - Quick Connects NH25DA

/ Hydraulic Connections - Quick Connects NH25DA #1  

GustaveIII

Tractor
New Holland TC25D
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a New Holland TC25DA tractor with a reallly nice 1305 (I believe is the number) loader. The tractor has the 4 quick disconnects on the right hand fender near the double brake peddle. I also managed to pick up a few 3 pt attachments, and one of them happened to be a Wood splitter attachment from M&W. The tractor does NOT have rear remotes, but I did manage to make some extra long cables for the cylinder. I disconnected the top two ports of my loader (They are for the bucket In/out) and then connected my wood splitter to those two ports. After checking the hydro fluid of my tractor and flushing the cylinder on the wood splitter with fresh new holland oil the splitter works fantastic. I can park the tractor and still raise and lower the bucket if I need to move the tractor, and the left and right movements of the handle now are for the wood splitter ram. The question however is: Is there a trick to reconnecting the hydraulic quick disconnects after I'm finished with the splitter/loader? I have a heck of time getting the couplers to go back in. I was told to always leave the cylinders in the closed (all the way squished) when disconnecting the hoses. However, there seems to be way to much pressure in the hoses to reconnect them. I end up getting my cresent wrench and vice grips to take off the quick disconnect fitting (the male version) and popping it into the QD on the tractor, then tightening the hose back onto the fitting after a bit of the oil has goobered out. I heard someone who said to wrap it in a towel and tap the nipple on the frame to basicly reduce the pressure. Just wondering if all you Hydraulic wizzards have any tricks of the trade?

Thanks!
Gus

/ Hydraulic Connections - Quick Connects NH25DA #2  
The disconnect (and even reconnect) problems are easily dealt with if you shut off the tractor motor and wiggle the joystick a bit to equalize pressures between the valve ports. This allows you to break the fitting (pressure is holding the connection detents tight) and reconnect (pressure prevents the detents from being overcome. If these fittings don't have right angle swivel joints at the male end, get them. With this, you can easily reconnect the fittings with a little fist slam and be back in business. Its also a good ideal to let the loader float down to ground and the bucket cylinders float with a joystick wiggle to relieve their pressures. Otherwise, gravity and the loader weight will create a backpressure that makes disconnecting and (worse) reconnecting these outlets when its time to resume loader work. I've sometimes run intoa situation with 1 way cylinders that the backpressure is so great you can't break the connection under any circumstances unless you unscrew the hose. That can get you hurt real fast if the fluid stream hits bare skin and also tends to waste a lot of oil. If the fluid stream breaks the skin, it will shoot up your arm and into vital areas of your circulatory system. You'll have enough time to realize what happened, issue an "oh sheet", feel the worse burn of your life, and drop dead.

Try it and report back ! Hope this helps...

/ Hydraulic Connections - Quick Connects NH25DA #3  
The quickest, easy way is to press the male QD ball or poppet on something hard to relieve the pressure. No cost what so ever. For little money, purchase two QD's, a male and a female, and two PVC plugs, and put the plugs in the spare QD's. Then plug the spare QD's into the attachment hoses. When you are ready to use the attachment, unscrew one of the plugs, and a little fluid may come out. Remove the spare QD's and installation to the tractor should go real easy.

This question has been asked many times, and will be asked many more times, because new tractor owners want to know. It should be stated in all tractor and attachment manuals, but unfortunately it isn't. Maybe one day we can get together and do a [ HOW TO DO THIS -------- ] dealing with hydraulics.