Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #1  

GoodGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4210 E-Hydro
Hello Gang....I just bought an aftermarket Snowblower with a cable chute rotator & sure would like to modify this to hydraulics. My question & request for ideas is has anyone did a hydraulic conversion to a design like in the attached pic?? Thanks a bunch, Eric

Attachments

• JRW 031.jpg
    JRW 031.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 2,607
  • JRW 024.jpg
    JRW 024.jpg
    987 KB · Views: 3,125
  • JRW 009.jpg
    JRW 009.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 2,568
   / Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #2  
It will be interesting to see what the TBN brain trust comes up with! I have a 48" JD318 Tractor w/ a four foot blower that I've been wanting to reto-fit for years! I even have the front hydro ports, but never did it. JD had an option on hydro turn that had a covered cylinder laid horozontally on the top of the sheet metal, in front of the chute. I'll have to see if I can find an 'exploded view' in their parts catalog! ~Scotty

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #3  
You could add a chain sprocket to the base of the chute, and a small hyd motor, or a windshield wiper 12v motor to rotate the chute, using chain.

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #4  
I had the same setup on my blower and I left the cable on it and removed the hand crank and added a flat bar of 1 inch stock on a piece of 1 inch all thread rod which was bolted to the flat plate under where the crank was. On the one ich stock put a cable on each end and run the cable on each side around these pullies and back toward the blower outlet. Fasten these ends using a spring on each one to the blower body. The sping work to take up the slack if the blower outlet sticks while turning. I use an 8 inch stoke cyliner to turn mine. It is connected to the 1 inch flat stock and the fixed end is fastened to the blower body. The clinder location on the flat stock controls how far the blower shute turns. I have a 5 1/2 foot blower and I conveted this to mine about 20 years ago and it works great. If you blower is a 5 foot I can give you all the measuments if they will help. I don't know how to post picures or I would.

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #5  
A real easy and inexpensive method is to use an ATV winch.
Like the hand crank, make about same # of cable turns in both directions on the winch and as well duplicate the snow shute setup.

Those winches are tough (rated at 2000 lbs) and come complete with reversing switch setup.
You basically can simply bolt it vertically on the blower frame and wire it up.
Works!

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #6  
Pics of these mods would be nice; I'm just getting a rear remote fitted on my B3030 with hydraulic top link, and I've been wondering about the snowblower shute and possible conversion.

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #7  
I had the same setup on my blower and I left the cable on it and removed the hand crank and added a flat bar of 1 inch stock on a piece of 1 inch all thread rod which was bolted to the flat plate under where the crank was. On the one ich stock put a cable on each end and run the cable on each side around these pullies and back toward the blower outlet. Fasten these ends using a spring on each one to the blower body. The sping work to take up the slack if the blower outlet sticks while turning. I use an 8 inch stoke cyliner to turn mine. It is connected to the 1 inch flat stock and the fixed end is fastened to the blower body. The clinder location on the flat stock controls how far the blower shute turns. I have a 5 1/2 foot blower and I conveted this to mine about 20 years ago and it works great. If you blower is a 5 foot I can give you all the measuments if they will help. I don't know how to post picures or I would.
Would you have a picture of this setup? Want to do something very similar. Thanks

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #8  
Would you have a picture of this setup? Want to do something very similar. Thanks
Ivan's last post was over 5 years ago, maybe he is still a TBN reader and will see your request

/ Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #9  
Cheap and cheerful chute turner mod with minimal welding required. If you run past the cable limits you break the cable and get to fix it. I seem to manage this about once a season.

I replaced the hand crank with a short shaft and used a lovejoy coupler to take up any mis-alignment between the hydraulic motor and chute turner shaft. The motor was a spare I had kicking around, you don't need anything fancy or expensive. Slower speed motor is easier to control.

Here's a nice trick - I added UHMW tape I bought off amazon as a UHMW sliding surface to stop ice from binding in the chute rotator. Works better than lube sprays and has lasted 3 season so far.

Attachments

• chuteturner_txt.jpg
    chuteturner_txt.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 133
  • chutemod.jpg
    chutemod.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
   / Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator #10  
Cheap and cheerful chute turner mod with minimal welding required. If you run past the cable limits you break the cable and get to fix it. I seem to manage this about once a season.

I replaced the hand crank with a short shaft and used a lovejoy coupler to take up any mis-alignment between the hydraulic motor and chute turner shaft. The motor was a spare I had kicking around, you don't need anything fancy or expensive. Slower speed motor is easier to control.

Here's a nice trick - I added UHMW tape I bought off amazon as a UHMW sliding surface to stop ice from binding in the chute rotator. Works better than lube sprays and has lasted 3 season so far.
How does that cable work? Is it simply rolled around the chute and drives it with friction?

Last edited: