Quick Connects for max flow?

/ Quick Connects for max flow? #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
JJ wrote something in another thread that made me think of this.

I have 1/2 inch hose from my front remotes to my rockhound. The tractor hose connection is 1/2" NPT Pioneer type quick connects.

As I understand it, the flow max for 1/2" hose is 12gpm? Are those 1/2" QCs bottlenecking flow, such that I'd get more out of using 1/2" female x 3/4 QCs (hose end will obviously stay the same). From what I've seen, a 1/2" Pioneer QC has a flow rate max of 12gpm, same as the hose, but not sure if that's right.

It would cost a bit of money and pain to switch everything over, but I'd do it if it were worth it. What do people think?

/ Quick Connects for max flow? #3  
It is my understanding that QD's should be one size up from the hose size.

/ Quick Connects for max flow? #4  
From what I have noticed the flat face type QD's for skid-steer loaders have much higher flow rates compared to the ag type. Of course, they cost about triple.

/ Quick Connects for max flow? #5  
What counts for flow rates is gpm at what pressure. They could say 12 gpm, but at 6,000 psi. if your implement demands 12 gpm at 2500psi to work correctly and your qd only flows 8 gpm at 2500 psi, you won't get the performance out of it that you should. That's why any hose shop will tell you that if you are going to err, do it on the high side. We always tell people to size their qd's the next size up from their hose. The one exception is the newer style flush face connectors. Yes, they are way more money, but also way more worth it. The buzz we hear in the hose/fitting industry is that in the near future, your poppet style qd's will be outlawed as they drip when connected or disconnected. The flush face are designed not to. When this happens, the price will come down dramatically as production will increase dramatically.
Andy

/ Quick Connects for max flow?
Thanks. From my reading of the chart, looks like the 1/2 inch is 12gpm, and the hose is 12gpm, but that is at 3000 psi, which is above my relief I'd bet, though I'm trying to figure that one out. So I doubt I'm getting the 12 I should get, let alone my tractors theoretical 16gpm to the front remotes. Though the tractor side hose is only 1/2 it looks like, which is probably a big limiting factor right there?

So the next size up is a good idea. Question is, is it worth changing over my stuff, or is it a marginal improvement that wouldn't be worth it for say a gpm or so?

Do the flat face have the same hooking-up problem the poppets have? If so, that'd be a bummer, as you couldn't tap them to release the pressure any more. But no question the poppets drip etc.

/ Quick Connects for max flow? #7  
If your implement works fine now, don't bother changing. I have not heard of a problem connecting the flush face under pressure. However, I don't have them so I can't say for sure.

I'd guess you'd have heard about it if there was a problem, so they probably work better.

Implements - the rockhound and harley rake work fine now, but I bet they'd work better with more flow. Have to be pretty significant though, and I bet the hoses are all the limiting factor.

/ Quick Connects for max flow? #9  
The buzz we hear in the hose/fitting industry is that in the near future, your poppet style qd's will be outlawed as they drip when connected or disconnected.

Lordy....... for the same reasons we can't buy a gas can that we like?? :mad::mad:

ironically, I spill 5 times as much with these new annoying no spill gas cans. Clearly designed by someone who had never actually used one.