1975 Case David Brown 1410

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410 #1  

e.myers

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4WD Hydrostat
Hydraulics quit working after I hear a Pssssssssss, in the woods. Couldn't find a leak. Hydraulics have always been finicky and the guy that use to work on the tractor says it's a prob with the David Browns. Others have confirmed this. I approached a local individual about trying to get the tractor running for me and he basically told me to buy a new tractor.

Anyone familiar with them? I'm mechanically inclined and have all the service manuals. What could be wrong? Should I look into it some more? It's an 80+ pto HP tractor and if I could get it working enough to lift and drag a large chisel plow It would help out around here.

What do you think?

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410 #2  
There is not enough information given. Will the tractor still run, or is it just the hydraulics?. Did the radiator blow? How about a full story, with lot of details?

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410
Thanks for the interest.

Tractor use to run, was my stepfathers, who used it for reforestation purposes (pulled tree planter with it etc). As stated hydraulics were always an issue (tree planter and or bushog would not stay in a "level" position... hydraulics would cycle and it would jump up and down, which caused problems keeping a consistent depth etc.

My stepfather was very good at "getting the goodie" out of everything and was "cheap" when it came to giving up on something for something new. So he put up with the tractor.

Steering is kind of whacked out (hydraulic related also). You kind of have to anticipate when you need to compensate for turning ahead of time so you're always turning left when you need to go right and vice versa (slow response time is a part of it)... very quirky, but fun in sort of a painful way.
Anyway, he had a mechanic Coolie who did all of his tractor work and he had concerns about the hydraulics on the tractor and basically kept it running.
Tractor was RUNNING when it was put up and I was out in the woods bushogging some trails, frankly probably abusing the tractor somewhat, got back up in some low limbs and I heard psssssssss. Sounded like radiator, but the hydraulics quit working so I just thought it was hydraulics.

Looked for leaks but couldn't find any, but it could be oversight. If I'm remembering right, I checked the transmission fluid (which I think is the same fluid reservoir as the hydraulic fluid?) and it was basically non existent. I refilled that and crossed my fingers. Never was able to get any of the hydraulics to work however. Remember thinking at the time that maybe I needed to bleed something but wasn't sure. That's when I realized I was in over my head without manuals or someone to talk to about it. Got manuals from step father a year or two later, and by that time my to do list had kind of changed.

In the grand scheme of things I doubt that the tractor has that many hours on it, that being said, it's been rode hard and put up wet. That's not to say that my step father didn't take care of normal maintenance however (at least fluids, filters etc).

Tractor definitely has some sentimental value to me, but it will take some money and time to get it STARTED. It's been sitting up for 3 or 4 years now.
Probably needs new battery, will need to drain all the old diesel, starter has issues but can probably work that out. Nothing huge to get it started (probably).

Getting it useful is another story. Needs tires, unless very dry rotted tires will hold out for some more time. And whatever it takes to get hydraulics up and running (assuming parts are available).

Guess what I would need to do first is figure out if the hydraulic pump is operational somehow (don't know how to do that). Then, if it is or is not, figure out if I'm going to be able to get parts for the worst case scenario hydraulics and how much that will cost.

Assuming I have to tear down the hydraulics, what am I up against worst case scenario? A lot of heavy lifting? Automatic Transmission type work? I have all the service manuals, so that's a plus.

What do you think?

Eddie

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410 #4  
David Browns have a three point hydraulic system that is unlike any other ever made. Unless you have access to someone with a LOT of experience with these systems, you are in for a lot of angst to get this up and running. If the rest of the tractor is in poor shape and needs (rear)tires, it may well not be worth the effort and expense.
As far as troubleshooting the hydraulics, you have a manual; is it an I&T or the actual OEM service manual? If you can't understand the hydraulic troubleshooting in the manual, consider abandoning the project.

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410 #5  
Since the hyd fluid was non existent, then it sound like you popped a hose, or the fluid drained out over time. Did you drive it back out of the woods after you heard the pop/fizz? How about water in the radiator? Will the tractor run now? Can you see the pump and check out all the fitting? It may take a bunch to get it going again, but maybe not. Hoses and pumps can be replaced, as well as cylinders, etc. You will have to ask your self about how much you want to put into it, and is it worth it. You can fix or replace just about anything, although it may take time and funds. If the engine will run, that means that the hyd pump will run, and if you have a hyd leak, there will be hyd fluid all over the place. so be prepared to shut it down, and wear eye protection, to avoid hyd spray. You might try and clean everything, with Dawn detergent , and when dry, take a paper towel and rub around each fitting, and wiggle the hoses, and observed things in general. Put some cardboard under the tractor, and you can see where the fluid is dripping.

OK. Yes I have the actual case manuals. They are two very thick, detailed books.

Broke them out and looked at the hydraulic section quickly.
Guess what. There is a bleeding procedure.
I'm betting, I blew a line in the woods, drove the tractor back and in the meantime lost all the fluid and developed an air lock.
Filled the fluid back up and still had an air lock.
Gave up but thought maybe I might have an airlock of some sort.

Well maybe I do. Wonder if I got this thing started and bled it per the instructions if it would start working in it's old crappy way if I just replaced a hose?

What do you think? Is what I'm thinking possible?

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410 #7  
It might depend on how long you ran the pump with out fluid.

How about some pictures of the pump, and anything else that might be important.

JJ-
Again, thanks for the interest. It's gonna take me some time to get pics together and posted. Right now I'm in the middle of trying to purchase a tractor and all the research/decisions that go with that.
Once I get that done then I'm on to having a little time to look more into the Case. Right now I'm drowning in tractor info.
Will be back though.
I doubt the pump ran more than 15 minutes. Not sure if that is long or short. Maybe I'll get lucky (yeah right!).

/ 1975 Case David Brown 1410 #9  
Hydraulics quit working after I hear a Pssssssssss, in the woods. Couldn't find a leak. Hydraulics have always been finicky and the guy that use to work on the tractor says it's a prob with the David Browns. Others have confirmed this. I approached a local individual about trying to get the tractor running for me and he basically told me to buy a new tractor.

Anyone familiar with them? I'm mechanically inclined and have all the service manuals. What could be wrong? Should I look into it some more? It's an 80+ pto HP tractor and if I could get it working enough to lift and drag a large chisel plow It would help out around here.

What do you think?

did you change filter on this model the filter on rear will stop up and stop all the hydraulics mine did. flush system and change all filters .works like new. if you still have tractor id like to buy parts off it if your not useing.