Cushion valve (Crossover) relief settings

/ Cushion valve (Crossover) relief settings #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
So to continue a theme... Burden got the prince DRV 4-HH cushion valves back in stock and I am about to order one to use with my hydraulic motors and plow since I'm pretty certain my front hydraulic control is not a motor spool valve.

Where should I set the relief on the cushion valve? I clearly don't want to set it so low that I don't get enough force out of my motors when they hit a rock or something.

Should it be right around tractor relief? Or a little above tractor relief?

And as I understand it, the cushion valve should not interfere with my regular cylinder stuff if set properly, so I could conceivably leave it on all the time, ie permanently mount it on my front remotes?

Thanks again, I continue to learn a huge amount from this site. No idea such a thing was even relevant or existed until I read the snowplow thread

/ Cushion valve (Crossover) relief settings #2  
It should be set to protect the hyd motor you will be using. Some hyd motors operate at 1500 psi, and others at 3000. You tractor hyd pump may not be able to build that much pressure. So if the motor is turning at some speed, and you shut the valve to neutral, the motor will try and act like a pump and the cushion valve. will bypass it back to the input of the motor. You only need a one way cushion valve unless you plan on reversing a hyd motor. Then a double relief cushion valve is required. The relief on the cushion valve should be set below the max pressure on the hyd motor.

/ Cushion valve (Crossover) relief settings #3  
Charlesaf3

Do you know the pressure rating on your cylinders. Are you sure the FEL valve does not have a relief valve on it? To check that out, Push the curl lever up to see if the valve will go into relief. Some of the relief valves are located before the FEL valve.

If you only had one hyd motor, then put it across the motor input and output hoses, by the motor. .

/ Cushion valve (Crossover) relief settings
Thanks JJ

I have 3 hydraulic motors and a plow - all reversible. So I was going to get the double. I could rig it up with hoses and QCs on both sides, so I could stick it in line, maybe that's the way to go.

Not sure about the FEL valve, but the front remotes are electric over hydraulic.

But gotcha on the setting, thanks. Makes sense.Guess I'll have to call ATI, Rockhound, and Mcmillen to check on the motor setting.

Does it matter for the plow, or could I use the same setting?