Rotating cylinder rod?

/ Rotating cylinder rod? #1  

jomifo

Tractor
BCS 852
Hi all-
I acquired a home-built log splitter with a pretty beefy welded-tee cylinder (3" rod). The rod has a hole drilled through for the pin that secures it to the block which pushes the wood. Anyhow, I had to have some seals fixed in the cylinder. When the cylinder came back from the shop the rod is now rotated so that the hole in the rod does not line up with the holes in the block that pushes the wood. Right now the rod is fully retracted and when I put the pin in and use that to try to rotate the rod it won't budge at all. Should the rod be able to rotate? When I get the hydraulic lines hooked back up and push the rod out will that make it easier to rotate? Thanks a lot for your expertise.

/ Rotating cylinder rod? #2  
hook it up to splitter, push ram out half way or so, you should be able to turn it then.

/ Rotating cylinder rod? #3  
The new seals are probably real tight. Install it, and run the rod back and forth a few times. Stick a big screwdriver through the hole in the rod and turn it while the rod is moving. This should make it a lot easier.

/ Rotating cylinder rod? #4  
Without having done it, I would try to rotate the rod while someone else extends the cylinder, once you have it hooked up. Seems like linear movement would reduce the rotational friction.

-rus-

/ Rotating cylinder rod? #5  
If they installed it with hyd fluid on the seals and o-rings as they should, then it should turn with a little effort. A long rod in the pin hole might help.