Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO #1  

TTTTTT

Gold Member
Tractor
Dong Feng 354 (Oct 2008)
Hi All,

For all the hydraulic experts, I am still a bit of a novice so I welcome any comments on the setup that don't seem right or could lead to problems. At this point everything works as it should and I am happy with the setup.

For the plow mod, I wanted angle control, but this was just an off shoot of installing Quick Disconnects at the front of the tractor on the FEL frame for many other things. I kept it simple with a manual control valve (no electrics). I got a simple single spool open center valve that I put in series with my other hydraulics. My pump supplies my FEL then to the new valve and then continues to my rear remotes and then to the 3pt , then to the reservoir. Just a note for anyone wanting to do it this way, all my existing hydraulics work as normal with only one function being used at one time. No problem as I only have one free arm to operate anyway. I went with 3/8" hose to the to the QD's as 1/2" I did not see necessary for the functions that would be used.

I was able to locate the new control valve beside my existing FEL control valve similar to the way some FEL valves that have a 3rd function (4 in1 bucket) already there.

It was recommended to install a cross over relief valve, especially when operating a plow as any jar if hitting something could potentially blow something hydraulically as the plow cylinders are in a locked state. It basically releases the pressure and dumps it to the other side. I opted to locate it before my QD's (not with the plow) so I could use it for other functions although I can't think of what else would need it on the front end.

Step one was locating a good safe spot for the QD's and the crossover relief. I put the QD's coming right off the relief valve for convenience but it go anywhere in line. I made a bracket that would be bolted to the FEL cross frame close where the bucket is. I used 1/2" steel. I made the bracket extend high enough to protect it the relief valve at least a little bit.

Next was to mount the relief valve, QD's and hoses. I assembled the fittings on the relief valve before attaching it to the bracket, then attached as one unit. I then added the hoses. I added a double hose clamp that is threaded into the bracket.

I had tested the hose length prior and was able to use off the shelf 8' long 3/8" hose back to the valve. I hooked it all up and then tested for leaks. A few minor ones that I tightened up.

I then hooked up the plow hoses. I used 3' - 1/4" hoses that I modded up to fit 1/2" NPT male connectors. Before threading them into the plow cylinders I operated the valve to charge them and get any air out right from the valve to the front.

Now the fun stuff!!

If a pic is worth a thousand words, then a video is just plain better and more fun.

Enjoy, Dave

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO #2  
Nice job Dave. I need to get working on my plow. Its a Meyers. I started taking everything apart and having it sandblasted but summer got me sidetracked.

Chris

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO
Nice job Dave. I need to get working on my plow. Its a Meyers. I started taking everything apart and having it sandblasted but summer got me sidetracked.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks

That is the next step in one slow summer, is to clean the plow up so it looks bettter. The one thing I noticed but forgot to say was, getting the support chain at the right tension makes all the difference in how stable the whole setup is and takes pressure off everything else. I think the video shows it.

Dave

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO #4  
Nice clean setup/installation.

What setting did you set on the relief valve, and what is the relief valve setting on the FEL valve? I noticed the right side of the blade was down further than the left side, can you adjust for that?

Nice clean setup/installation.

What setting did you set on the relief valve, and what is the relief valve setting on the FEL valve? I noticed the right side of the blade was down further than the left side, can you adjust for that?

Thanks JJ,

Coming from you with no necessary changes means a lot. I guess I have learned something from kennyd and yourself. The relief valve has a max setting of 2000psi. I am hoping it is high enough that it won't trigger by pushing a modest amount of snow. It was a very good deal. The FEL valve setting is factory set and i am not sure. Sounds like I should have plumbed a gauge in!.. I should have done that after reading all the posts. I can't really adjust the blade, but it could have been the angle of the camera. With the skid shoes it sits down nicely.

Dave

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO #6  
Very nice work!!! I have been putting off building mine for the last 2 years. Maybe someday I will get around to it.

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO #7  
Thanks JJ,

Coming from you with no necessary changes means a lot. I guess I have learned something from kennyd and yourself. The relief valve has a max setting of 2000psi. I am hoping it is high enough that it won't trigger by pushing a modest amount of snow. It was a very good deal. The FEL valve setting is factory set and i am not sure. Sounds like I should have plumbed a gauge in!.. I should have done that after reading all the posts. I can't really adjust the blade, but it could have been the angle of the camera. With the skid shoes it sits down nicely.

Dave

If you set the double relief valve higher than the FEL valve, the FEL relief will be the one relieving, except on a spike in the pressure caused by hitting something solid. If you set the double relief valve lower, it will be doing most of the relieving. If you do put a gage in the system, it will show the working pressure, and any spikes that it may see. Make sure and get a liquid gage. I would put it in the IN port to the fell with a tee fitting. That way, it will indicate any pressure after the FEL valve. Makes it real easy to set the reliefs.

Last edited:
JJ

Thanks for the analysis. Should be easy to add one at that location.

Dave

/ Front QD Mod/Plow Hookup- VIDEO #9  
Nice job Dave,

Does it angle more Left than Right? Or is that an illusion in the video? That carrier also looks like it can dig in pretty good so be careful!

Nice job Dave,

Does it angle more Left than Right? Or is that an illusion in the video? That carrier also looks like it can dig in pretty good so be careful!

Thanks kennyd,

Just an illusion, it angles the same each way. The undercarraige shouldn't hit when the plow is set right. Its handy dropping it down to release the tension on the chain and setting it at the right length so it sits right taking a lot of pressure off the plow adapter. You can see how tight that chain is. I hope I am not around if it snaps. I may put a set of skid shoes near the rear on the frame if it is a problem.

I never thought I would want to see snow, but I am anxious to try it out!!
Dave