Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods

/ Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
Help

I have a Meyers Snow Plow with the angle cylinders having rust on the piston rods. The cylinders have no pitting and seem to be leak free. I would like to just clean up the rods but how? Can I soak them in something then Scotch Bright them? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

/ Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods #2  
Help

I have a Meyers Snow Plow with the angle cylinders having rust on the piston rods. The cylinders have no pitting and seem to be leak free. I would like to just clean up the rods but how? Can I soak them in something then Scotch Bright them? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris

I think you saw my old 8' plow I'm using on my FEL frame. When I picked up that plow the cylinders were similar to what you are saying. I put a little bit of spray lub I had for corrosion and then took fine steel wool to clean them up. They seem to work well. There was minor pitting and rust but were other than that clean and the seals seemed good.

Good Luck Dave

/ Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods
Thanks Dave.

I will take a picture and post it. Your video and thread got me working on my plow again. Last season I just used it as is and hand to manually angle it and lock it with a pin. I am going to do a setup like yours. I stripped down the plow and took off the sheet metal. Got a new one made for under $50 just need to weld it on. Anyway its off to the sand blaster on Monday then getting a new paint job.

Chris

/ Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods #4  
Great stuff. I thought that may be the case. Snow's coming! I guess we will be ready. Fun project. Like to see your cleaned up pics as I want to clean my plow up next year. Didn't have time this year. It looks like there are many layers of paint so I guess sand blasting is the best method although I saw one who used an electrolysis method and it turned out fantastic. Looked brand new.

He has done some very nice mods. Top notch work

Our New Holland TC-40D

Dave

Here are some pics.

Chris

Attachments

• snow plow 005.jpg
    snow plow 005.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 381
  • snow plow 002.jpg
    snow plow 002.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCF0076.jpg
    DSCF0076.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCF0080.jpg
    DSCF0080.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 359
Here is some pics of the cylinders. They are worse than I remembered. I have thought about just getting a single double acting cylinder that I can use on the plow in the winter and on the 3 point top link in the summer. I guess I will give these a try first.

Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0081.jpg
    DSCF0081.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF0082.jpg
    DSCF0082.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 809
   / Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods #7  
Do you have the molded board type or solid steel! Mine is solid and it weights a ton (not literally) I would have liked the lighter type, a little easier on the entire system, but the extra weight can handy when trying to get through the heavy stuff as long as the tractor can handle it. If it has built up that much that I can't move it then its my own fault. Maybe time to switch to the bucket for a bit.

Dave

/ Snow Plow Cylinders With Rust On Piston Rods #8  
Here is some pics of the cylinders. They are worse than I remembered. I have thought about just getting a single double acting cylinder that I can use on the plow in the winter and on the 3 point top link in the summer. I guess I will give these a try first.

Chris

Hi Chris,
You may be in trouble on those, although when you clean them up you never know. Mine were left on the plow so I could operate them. You may want to soak them for a bit first to loosen the rust as much as possible. You may not want to move them until they are cleaned up or you may risk wreaking the seals as any rough spots move through. You probably already thought of that. Plow cylinders don't cost that much if you need new ones. The place where I get most of my stuff had some of certain sizes clearing out for about $40 each. Talking about the hyd. toplink, I just bought one from Dalton Hyd on for $149.
Hydraulic Top-Link - Category 1
Should come this week. It does not have the lock cylinder on it for drift, but I think I am ok with my control valve setup.

Dave

I am not sure what you mean by mole board type? It had 11 gauge sheet metal and 6" tall by 1/2" thick cutting edge bolted on the bottom. The cutting edge is not in the pictures but I have it cleaned up and painted black ready to be bolted back on.

Chris

That top link cylinder is just what I was thinking of. I figured I could put it on one side and it would do the job. Where did you see the plow cylinders for that price? I may just order new ones.

Chris