3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720

/ 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720 #1  

jgrobert2720

Tractor
2009 JD 2720
Hey all. Anyone added or know any information about a 3rd "Selective Control Valve" for the JD 2520 or 2720 compact tractor? I see in JD's parts website, that it is listed, but the dealer I ask about it was very "vague" on the specifics of it. In other words, he kinda lied to me, rather than admit he didn't know.

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited:
   / 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720 #2  
Never seen one...and not even sure it's available yet. There is no drawing or part list in JDParts for it.

There are a few good homebrew setups I can point you to if your interested...

/ 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720
Yeah, here is the info on how to look up the 3rd SCV on JD's parts website. Just use the following link and click on the "Catalog number Search" button at the top of the page and enter the (below) info. Sorry, an actaul link to the actual page doesn't exist the way JD has their parts site setup.

Catalog: 9791 | Grid: G24 | Section: 70 | Page: 22
Catalog Name: 2720 Compact Utility Tractor
Page Name: 3RD SCV KIT

Jeff

/ 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720 #4  
AAHH, I did not look in the Sectional Index, but rather the Alphabetical.

That is a very curious diagram...it looks like the hoses just connect back to itself :confused: almost like a perpetual hydraulic valve:eek: I see no "outlets" or QD's, and no IN or OUT hoses...

Very interesting...

Attachments

• 2520.gif
    2520.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,096
   / 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720 #5  
I have a slightly different tractor, a JD 3520, but the 3rd SVC should be very similar. It is controlled by a small black lever (red arrow) in front of the 3pt hitch control lever. There are two quick connects with green covers (what would you expect on a JD ?) on the rear fender. When you push the lever forward, one is the IN and the other the OUT. When you pull it backward it's the reverse. When you want to use it continuously (which is my case) for a hedge trimmer or a log splitter, it is kept open by an elastic or a small chain you might see in some of the pictures.

Attachments

• DSCF1241a [R駸olution de l'馗ran].jpg
    DSCF1241a [R駸olution de l'馗ran].jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 3,344
  • DSCF1230 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1230 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 2,283
  • DSCF1243 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1243 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 2,179
  • DSCF1513 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1513 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 1,944
  • DSCF1629 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1629 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 2,135
   / 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720 #6  
After seeing this thread, I did some poking around and emailed the dealer I bought my 2320 from about the 3rd SCV kit. Here's the scoop:

The kit for the 3rd SCV requires having the power beyond kit installed (although it appears that it takes away having power beyond after you install the 3rd SCV) From what I can tell, it uses the PB bracket on the back to hold the rear couplers, then mounts a new valve near the RH ROPS post with a lever that extends forward sort of up by where the 3-point lever is when it's raised. Dealer mentioned the 3rd SCV kit is about $400 by itself. But, then there's the cost of the PB kit (if you go with all Deere kits. I know jimgerken posted a very detailed thread that shows how to make the mods to tap into the PB on 2020 tractors easily enough, then I think the other missing piece would be a bracket for the couplers on the back. Once the PB modification is done, the Deere kit isn't really much different than the homebrew setups other than the cover to hide some of the fittings and a decal...

/ 3rd SCV on John Deere 2520 or 2720 #7  
AAHH, I did not look in the Sectional Index, but rather the Alphabetical.

That is a very curious diagram...it looks like the hoses just connect back to itself :confused: almost like a perpetual hydraulic valve:eek: I see no "outlets" or QD's, and no IN or OUT hoses...

Very interesting...

The diagram is a little off. The 2 hoses don't connect back to the steel lines. The hoses run down to the PB ports on the main SCV valve. The 2 steel lines run back to the PB bracket on the back (I assume to some couplers, maybe stolen from the PB kit?) Oh, and the handle on the valve actually should be 90 degrees from what the drawing shows, so that it runs horizontally, forward.