Replacing Hydraulic Lines

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines #1  

TheIglu

Bronze Member
Tractor
1962 IH B414 Diesel, 2008 Kubota B2620
Gentlemen,

I finally lost a ram assist power steering line on my 1961 IH B414 Diesel.

There were two lines coming from the hydraulic system to the ram. Both 48" long or so and the ID of the female swivel fittings are 3/4".

I don't have a hydraulic hose supplier near me and was going to order from McMaster, but I have since had doubts as to what to order.

Is it likely that they are BPT or should they be NPT? Given the size of the fitting, I was assuming that the lines were 1/2" and the fittings were 1/2" (3/4" ID female fittings = 1/2" fitting).

Any advice? Places to order?

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines #2  
I would just take off the hoses and take to a hydraulic shop. Let them figure out the fitting and hose sizes. If you think your fluid will leak out, just go ahead and drain it into a clean bucket, or plug the lines.

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines
I plugged it already, not an issue. Just no hydraulic shop local is all.

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines #4  
napa makes hyd lines while you wait..

soundguy

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines
Really? Sweet!

I'll grab the line and head down (45 minutes away) tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines #6  
I'd call first to make sure your location makes them.. but the 4 local stores in a 30m radus to me do. Many fastenal stores also make hoses.

lotsa cat dealers make hoses as well.

check yer yellow pages.. many times you can find 'mobile' dealers that will drive up to your site in a 'bread truck', and custom make hoses for you , onsite. we've used services like that before... sure beats 1.5hrs of downtime hitting town, OR using off the shelf hoses that are too long.

last option and least appealing is to hit TSC.. use off the shelf hoses in pipe thread and adapt over to the needed fittings.. probably cost the most and look the worst.. but in a pinch will get you going.

soundguy

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines #7  
As Soundguy said-look in the phone book under "hydraulics", somebody makes hoses I bet...

Also a better online source is DHH, they have charts to so you can accurately measure your fittings to make sure you get what you need.

/ Replacing Hydraulic Lines #8  
I use napa all the time. we have 4 stores but only 1 is set up to make the hoses up. So call them first. :