cylinder repair

/ cylinder repair #1  

chicken991

I am repairing cylinder on fel . It is an allied loader. Have seal kit on hand. My question is how do you replace the U-cup in the head plate. Any help appreciated.

/ cylinder repair
here is a picture of head plate with old u-cup inside. need to remove old one and install new.View attachment 143164

Attachments

• Home 7-3-09 007.jpg
    Home 7-3-09 007.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
   / cylinder repair #3  
You should be able to use a pic or small screwdriver to pry that one out, the new one will prob be stiff and you have to fold it to almost look like a C shape to get it down inside and then keep working it around till it fits in correctly. Lube it up with some STP or oil to help it slide in. I redid a couple of mine and they were really tight getting that thing down inside that hole, just takes some time and when you get everything right and have your tongue in just the right position it'll slid in....... hopefully.

Topstrap

Last edited:
   / cylinder repair #4  
Like Top said-just pick-pry the old one out...then I boil the new ones in water to soften them up before folding into the C shape to get them in there.

/ cylinder repair
thanks everyone , i was thinking something like that or take to a machine shop. kept looking for a place to seperate the head thanks again

/ cylinder repair #6  
I apologize for highjacking this thread, but it kind of goes along the general theme.

Where is a good site to order individual parts to rebuild cylinder? I have one on a treatment table that the local shop can not get right. They know best and will not listen to the customer. First time it was repacked I was in the shop watching as they tore it down. The rod seal end has a snap ring, then a steel ring, and had 4 identical u-cups. When they put it back together with the 4 cups they could not get the rod in so took one cup out and put a white nylon half height spacer in, it wept oil but I made do with it. Had it repacked last year and in spite of me distinctly telling them about the 4 cups they only put 3 plus the white ring and it leaks worse plus it does not hold a load at all and leaks down internally at an observable rate. I use this table every day I am in my office so I will have to take it off, open, measure, visually match, then reassemble to limp along until parts come in and it can be fixed. I just need a source for that kind of help for parts so if anyone has a favorite recommendation I surely would appreciate a heads up.

/ cylinder repair #7  
I apologize for highjacking this thread, but it kind of goes along the general theme.

Where is a good site to order individual parts to rebuild cylinder? I have one on a treatment table that the local shop can not get right. They know best and will not listen to the customer. First time it was repacked I was in the shop watching as they tore it down. The rod seal end has a snap ring, then a steel ring, and had 4 identical u-cups. When they put it back together with the 4 cups they could not get the rod in so took one cup out and put a white nylon half height spacer in, it wept oil but I made do with it. Had it repacked last year and in spite of me distinctly telling them about the 4 cups they only put 3 plus the white ring and it leaks worse plus it does not hold a load at all and leaks down internally at an observable rate. I use this table every day I am in my office so I will have to take it off, open, measure, visually match, then reassemble to limp along until parts come in and it can be fixed. I just need a source for that kind of help for parts so if anyone has a favorite recommendation I surely would appreciate a heads up.

Yup...
Hercules Sealing Products

/ cylinder repair
Like Top said-just pick-pry the old one out...then I boil the new ones in water to soften them up before folding into the C shape to get them in there.

i did like you said and it was a snap, i was afraid it would break the seal to fold it that much. thanks