FEL Hydraulics

/ FEL Hydraulics #1  

Bob Ha

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TN75, Kubota M9960, Kubota M7040, NH T4.85
I'm about to have a FEL installed and trying to decide to spend the money adding everything needed for dedicated hydraulics or just plug them into the two rear remotes and unplug when the need arises for other things. If the FEL will stay up when they FEL in unplugged then I may share the hydraulics but if the FEL go's down when unplugged then I will have no choice but to install dedicated hydraulics. Will it stay up or go down when unplugged? It will cost around $1,000 for dedicated hydraulics. thanks

Last edited:
   / FEL Hydraulics #2  
Just about all valves will leak down. What keeps or slows down the leaking valve is the precision that goes into making the valve. All FEL's will leak down, some, faster than others. You can put pilot operated load checks on the cyl for a more secure position control. I don't think the dedicated hyd will matter much.

Now if you are talking about unplugging the QD's for the FEL, then if the bucket is up and you un-plug the FEL, you essentially lock the fluid in place. However, trying to reconnect might be a problem due to pressure on the QD's. or heat build up, causing the fluid to expand. Some cylinders will leak internally, until the pressure equalizes.

/ FEL Hydraulics #3  
If your cylinders are healthy, and you have the proper quick disconnects, you will be okay. You will need the type of disconnects that are made to disconnect and connect under pressure. If it were mine however, I would spend about 50 bucks on 2 shut off valves and run them inline on the side that lifts the load. On second thought, you could use these shut off valves and use regular qd's. Who is installing the FEL and what do they suggest? If they can't suggest anything like this, I would have my doubts about getting a quality install.

/ FEL Hydraulics #4  
I'm about to have a FEL installed and trying to decide to spend the money adding everything needed for dedicated hydraulics or just plug them into the two rear remotes and unplug when the need arises for other things. If the FEL will stay up when they FEL in unplugged then I may share the hydraulics but if the FEL go's down when unplugged then I will have no choice but to install dedicated hydraulics. Will it stay up or go down when unplugged? It will cost around $1,000 for dedicated hydraulics. thanks

What machine are we talking about?

You can get a new Joystick Valve for $200, plus some hoses (some of which you will have to buy anyway), and some fittings and you will have independent control of your loader. I suspect under $500 total...

You will NEVER regret having independent control with a joystick valve...

/ FEL Hydraulics #5  

You are forgetting the middle ground.. what ya got.. 2 remotes? use one remote to feed a joystick hooked tot he fel.. the other remote is free.. that keep s the loader powered at all times, and a free remote..

soundguy

/ FEL Hydraulics #6  
Bob, I believe the normal way for the TN75's joystick to work is to have cables going from the joystick to a special set of rear remotes that are dedicated to the FEL. I would not do what you are planning to do because it will be very non-standard and may actually take away from the value of your tractor. I'd spend the money to get the hydraulics done the "correct" way and not take a chance with a "jury-rigged" setup. I think you will soon tire of changing the hydraulics around. It can be done, but is that really the kind of setup you'd expect on a very nice tractor like the TN75? If you do it an find you have a tiny leak in a cylinder, you'll be right back where you are now and have to buy the correct valves or fix a leaking cylinder. The cylinders leak down very slowly on my tractor, but it's a non-issue when operating because I can reach over and correct the leakdown with the joystick when needed.

/ FEL Hydraulics
I was having a hard time making a decision on the money and the end result. Every place I talked to gave me different suggestions on how it could be setup and was just tired of trying to decide. I did decide to do it the correct way and placed my order today. I will be leaving the two rear remotes as shipped on my NH TN75 and adding a separate joystick and dedicated hydraulics. Thanks for all the help... you guy's are great! Some day I hope to have the knowledge to help others on this and other tractor subjects.

Thanks,

Bob